NWR Cricket

Certainly a change of tone from yesterday when people were talking about how big the England lead would be. Lots of interesting points out of the game so far:
-It looks like Smith's replacement might have to be kept on when Smith returns.
-Could a captain who may end up leading the Ashes 2 nil find himself dropped for the 4th test?
-The Root at 3 experiment hasn't worked too well.
-Surely Denly will get a lot of confidence from top scoring for England in a test innings?
-People with tickets for the 4th and 5th days might be getting worried.

I think only Nigel was talking up a big first innings lead for England, and he was seeing it from an Aussie perspective.

I think the Aussie selectors will delight in dropping Wade before Paine, after they fought for so long to ignore him, though Khawaja could also make way.

I think people with 3rd day tickets were getting worried.

It is just hard to believe how bad England is. I am sure no-one in the Aussie camp thought they we anything like this bad, Alfie Langer's head must be spinning at what happened out there today.

Australia win This 99 times out of 100. Sorry I meant 98.

The highest score Of the game in the 4th innings . So many records would be smashed there......

Australia still favourites, but today will have rattled them and conversely shown England the benefit of hanging in there and letting the bowlers tire and the ball lose its shine - something I thought was obvious, but seems to be a new discovery for this team.

One note of caution re: record 4th innings chases. Most will have been during 4th / 5th day of a test, whereas this will be over 3rd / 4th day and where there is a suggestion it is still getting easier to bat.

Having had to track this rollercoaster of a test from Helsinki since Friday morning has been agonising though watched no the highlights is going to be a greater pleasure when I get back tomorrow than I was expecting. Apart from Friday’s horror show. It also makes my Old Trafford day 3 tickets far more interesting.

If England win this Test, I won’t eat my hat but I will buy and drink a Sparkling Shiraz.
That innings was as good as it gets.
Well there’s no chance of finding a bottle in Burgundy. So I will do the deed when meeting up with my mates for Old Trafford.
As a compromise, this evening will pop down into cellar & pull out the Pierre Peters BdB Réserve.