Corklin?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Jim Agar, May 24, 2019.

1. Took a couple of bottles of Benetiere Côte Rôtie 2010 Cordeloux to Chez Bruce last night. One bottle was sensational and singing, the other was just muted, less expressive and slightly astringent compared to the other. I assumed it was a slight but undetectable TCA problem but one of our party( a wine importer) said he thought it a problem with the phenols in the cork and called it corklin and not directly related to TCA. Any thoughts, scientific basis? New one on me!

2. It's a newish name for something that has been known about for years.
    This Compounds called Corklins found in cork-stoppered wines might help provide a reasonable amount of relevant information albeit mainly from a top cork producer.

IMO TCA is sadly a more likely candidate based on your description of the difference between the wines since corklins are not generally associated with a deterioration in wine quality - some report the opposite effect on astringency.
    However did any of your party ever 'smell' TCA even after some time or was the bottle abandoned quickly? There are of course other chemicals that can negatively affect the taste of wine in the way you describe.
    Was there any low level Brett detected?

3. Thanks very much Nigel. No TCA or Brett detected and as 6 of us and it wasn’t too bad, we drank it in short order to get into the good bottle! I’ll get to the link this evening.