Food Beefsteak Mushroom

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Matt O'Connor, Jul 20, 2020.

1. I have a fascinating looking beefsteak mushroom on an old apple tree in the garden. But not really sure what to do with it in a preparation or cooking context.. seems that slicing quite thinly and eating raw just with a bit of salt and olive oil or maybe lemon juice might be best...

Any ideas gratefully received!

2. Normally I'd have a suggestion up my sleeve, but in this case I've never found a beefsteak bracket. I'd be careful about eating a bracket fungus raw (unless there is clear information that says this is OK) - it might be wiser to cook it. Quite a lot of wild fungus is not easily digestible raw. If it has the same texture as chicken of the woods pan frying a thin slice dredged in egg and breadcrumbs and dried Provencal herbs would work.

3. A bit of googling suggests that it can be eaten raw should you wish to.

4. Last thought - best to eat it raw only when super fresh.

Thom Blach likes this.
  5. Beefsteak mushroom is unfortunately not terribly nice! It's rather sour with a bit of a ferric rasp. Cooking reduces these qualities and adds sliminess. They grow on veteran trees around this time in Greenwich Park (South/South East side) if people fancy trying it for themselves.

6. Yes, I found one once, maybe 15 years ago and Martin’s description pretty much matches my experience.

7. Thanks for the thoughts. I’m sort of tempted to leave it on the tree :)

Richard Zambuni likes this.