Beaujolais 2018 -how good?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mark Carrington, May 27, 2019.

1. Bought one of Le Grappin's "bargain" Beaujolais mixed cases which arrived today. Opened the '18 B-V "Nature", which is from Lancié. It's quite extraordinary, mainly in a good way. Only 12% alcohol, which is a box ticked for me. There's a very slightly bitter note, which might be from the CO2 used to preserve it in place of sulphur? but it's not too obtrusive - I like Campari anyway. Overall it's a great balance of griotte and minerality, not so much a vin de soif as a sipping wine in the manner of my favourite Kabinetts.

2. This was on tasting at TWS today and very lovely

Jean-Paul Brun, Terres Dorées Beaujolais L'Ancien 2018

Chris Davies and Charles Muttar like this.
  3. Couldn’t agree more. We have been drinking the 2017 and 2018 of this at home. We managed to also pick up a bottle of his sparkling Gamay that we are intrigued to try over the holidays.

Charles Muttar likes this.
  4. Agreed. I have been quite enjoying the 2018's I've had (which has thus far been limited to Thivin, Breton, Thevenet, Romuald Valot). I'm not really a fan of the riper vintages generally (the 2009's were way too big, and the 2017's were often hot) but I find that the 2018's strike a nice balance between riper (darker) fruit without being jammy/confected, along with refreshing acidity and tannin, and aren't too heavy.

Interesting. Which 2018 Thivin's have you found jammy and lacking freshness? I haven't found this with the Les Sept Vignes, Les Griottes de Brulhié, or Reverdon.

5. I’m loving the 2018 vintage in Beaujolais. Only tried lighter cru and Beaujolais villages so far but they are amongst the best of their type I’ve had.

I didn’t get on with the 2015 vintage as a whole, lack on phenolic ripeness and dry finishes. So while I normally like fresher vintages like 2012 and 2016 the extra fruit combined with acidity and balance in the 2018s makes them a real hit.

From memory, on a par with or better than 90, 85 and 76.

I for one will be filling my boots with them.

6. Just recently discovered that an importer is bring some of the Julien Sunier wines into the country (not seen the Fleurie though). Tried the Morgon a week or so back and it had lovely purity of fruit, definite richness too, but just enough crunchy freshness to keep me heading back to top up my glass. Looking forward to trying the Regnie shortly.

7. With today's lunch, Domaine Richard Rottiers Moulin-à-Vent 2018. Wish I had more. 13%, organic, 40-80yr-old vines. Clean as a whistle, absolutely typical cru Beaujolais rather than pseudo-Burgundy or N Rhône, lovely depth of fruit, considerable length.

8. I've been working my way through some Bouland Morgon 18's.

Pretty serious and impressive, the only one really enjoyable to drink at this stage is the Delys but the Corcelletes and Bellevue's will also be good enough the fullness of time. Worth checking out if you exploring Beaujolais.

Ben Rotter likes this.
  9. I have just bought a mixed case of 2018 bojo (Thivin/Dutraive/Thillardon) and will report back with my thoughts. Given the rate of current consumption in COVID-19 times, this may be sooner rather than later!

10. I'm hearing you Duncan!

11. Good to know - I haven't tried the Delys yet, but the Corcellette and the Corcellette VV were both dense, somewhat unyielding (and a little stemmy for me) at this stage - I certainly feel like they will be much better for having some bottle age.

The Thivin's, on the other hand, are delicious now.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  12. We opened a bottle of Domaine de la Grand'Cour Brouilly VV on yesterday. In pre-C19 times, I don't think that I would have broached this for a few years and it was a little reserved upon being opened. However, with a little time, it really opened up and was lovely - bright fruit with a spicy component on the palate that was delicious. This was my first bottle from 2018, so early days, but this certainly bodes well!

13. JP Brun Ancien 2018 nothing to write home about and quite diluted (contrary to what I read above). I had better memories of this Domaine.

I will stick to the usual suspects (Thivin, Coudert, Domaine de la Grand'Cour, Foillard...)

14. Hi Filippo, I thought the 2018 'Ancien' a vibrant wine with lovely red fruit energy - but not as good as the younger vine Ronsay from 2019 which he showed just before...

Conor Twomey and Charles Muttar like this.
  15. Will revisit again as I have another 2 bottles. I am sure you are right!

16. J P Brun Ancient needs time. Treat like a decent Brouilly. I have 6 of the 18 but will be holding them for at least 4 years. 2015 still needs more time. I’ve had the 2012 and 2014 previously (now all gone) and did notice a bit of bottle variation - so wouldn’t assume too much from 1 bottle.

Charles Muttar and Conor Twomey like this.
  17. I still have the 2009 in storage!! In magnums though. I'll probably have them delivered once the...

18. William Kelley said in his video about 2018 Bojo (on Instagram) that he thought the vintage would win new converts, and happy to report I seem to be one, at least based on the few wines I tried last week.

BEAUJOLAIS REVISITED WITH ANNE MCHALE MW - Zoom! (5/12/2020)
    Bojo-sceptic gives Gamay another go

Regional and Villages
    • 2017 Domaine de la Rocaillère (Vincent Fontaine) Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais
      Not much on the nose - just a suggestion of red fruits. Lots of lovely fresh fruit on the palate. Balanced, refreshing, and vivacious. Some nice concentration from the old vines. A touch of slightly drying tannin. Just so drinkable - would be killer with a picnic. (90 pts.)
    • 2018 Jean-Marc Burgaud Beaujolais-Villages Les Vignes de Lantignié - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Beaujolais-Villages
      Really perfumed, deep and juicy on the nose, with cherry pit aromas. Attractive, crunchy bitterness coming through on the palate. Wonderful fruit! Pretty long. Feels nicely ready - tannins are fine and add structure. (90 pts.)
    Mid-weight Crus
    • 2018 Julien Sunier Régnié - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Régnié
      Smells quite natural/volatile at first, but it fills out beautifully in glass. Incense and flowers. Pretty evident this was made with full carbonic maceration - lots of banana sweets. Quite confected, but there's a cool poise that keeps it in balance. Long intriguing finish. I almost hated this, but, er, I didn't. (90 pts.)
    • 2018 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Les Griottes de Brulhié - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly
      Darker colour than many Bojos. Dusky rose, pepper and autumnal muddy earth on the nose. Lots of concentration on the palate, but so elegant too. Really long. Enchanting - and drinkable too. (93 pts.)
    Heavyweight Crus
    • 2018 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Javernières - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon
      Deep maroon colour. Big, big wine with lots of personality. Haven't had anything quite like this before. Gamay meets Syrah. Candyfloss and pepper. There's earthiness but also sweet jammy fruit. Layered and complex. Classy stuff. (92 pts.)
    • 2009 Bertolla Moulin-à-Vent Domaine du Granit La Rochelle Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent
      Still pretty dark to look at, but this is fully mature. Rich and rounded. Dried fruit. Like a Cote Rotie at age 25. Effortless concentration. A lightness of touch but beset with flavour. Maybe better a year or two ago though? (92 pts.)
    I've now bought a few of the above, a few others from Thivin, and Foillard Cote du Py (all available from BBR). All were 2017/18 - seems older vintages are harder to obtain than for other regions, but seemingly less necessary except to compare vintage variation. On that note, I guess the next step in exploration is to try wine from a cooler vintage like 2016.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  19. Shame on me I don't drink more Bojo, in fact don't have any at all at the mo, although have had plenty in the past & am partial to Gamay - generally in PTG. But, if I were to acquire some (bojo) I'd be heading straight for some Ch.Thivin wines - long the chateau/domaine who's wines have impressed me most. Lovely family as well which always 'helps'.

Charles Muttar likes this.
  20. BBR are selling Julie Balagny’s 2018s, she is my favourite producer, I’d give them a whirl if you’re interested in exploring. Not tried her 18s yet but her en remont 16 was amazing

Charles Muttar and Nick Amis like this.
  21. Quite punchy pricing though? But obviously you think worth it?

22. agree it’s way overpriced for bojo but i find them delicious and quite special. I only buy a few of bottles each year, and open them for special treats. I started buying her 14s and they were less than half the price they are now, but I still buy them.

my wife likes her wine but thinks I’m a total wine bore so rarely comments on wine we drink and never pays attention to what it is but she always feels compelled to comment when she tastes a Balagny bizarrely.

So yes, I think they’re worth it.

Mahmoud Ali and Nick Amis like this.
  23. It's funny, I've literally never bought any Beaujolais until now, but even I caught myself thinking "ooh, £38 for a Beaujolais [the Desvignes mentioned above], that's a bit steep", then told myself to stop being ridiculous as I had rated it 92 - the same as eg Pichon Baron 1996 and plenty of other wines that cost a lot more than £38.

Simon Reilly likes this.
  24. It did surprise me you declared not to liking Beaujolais. Glad you found a few styles you liked. I don’t buy huge amounts but bought a couple of producers in 17/18.
    Sunier Fleurie started me off and still have a couple of the 15s left.

25. That’s doubled in price since the 14s too, just checked my bbr account and I paid £19.50 for the 2014 of the same wine a couple of years ago. Its nuts