Beaujolais 2018 -how good?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mark Carrington, May 27, 2019.

1. I’m struggling to find vintage reports. How was the harvest? Sweeping generalisations welcome.

2. Jasper posted this on the 2015 bojo thread: "Just been at this year's big Beaujolais tasting. I like the look of 2018 very much, largely because most of the wines show good acidity as well as ripe fruit."

Sounds promising!

3. Yes - I think I am going to find many more 2018s to like than 2015, but I never fell in love with '15. The 2018s are mostly much fresher, though there are still some late picked horrors, and a few with dry and dusty notes.

4. Worth keeping an eye out for new kid on the block Benjamin Passot, a negoce situated in Agencourt, NSG. His ‘18s were very good, but not released until July. Absolute bargains & I’ve arranged to pick some when back for Le Tour.

5. When do the decent producers tend to release as it seems the main merchants here never seem to make much / anything of bojo.
    Any good merchants ?.

6. There are some early bottlings already done - mainly by people who were badly hailed in 2017 - oh and the Nouveau's last year ;-) - but generally there's plenty of elevage still to be done for the best producers - just like the Côte d'Or.
    The crus seem to be excellent with less leather and spice than 2015 - though I do believe at some domaines, that 2015 is a great vintage. But 2018 is not necessarily better than the non-hailed 2017s - I'll do my normal tour of more than 50 domaines, concentrating on 2018s, plus many blind wines next February.
    The properly cropped BJ/BJV will be as brilliant as in 2017 but in the end much less consistent than that vintage due to many cases of advantageous yields ;-)
    Was in MAV at the weekend - a few early 18s were shown (Janin magnificent) but the good domaines are pushing the 2016s more at tastings for the moment - if they still have any to sell :)

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. I was going to reply but as Bill has posted a perfect reply, and Jasper has commented, there is no point. I’ve not tasted myself, as the Bojo body has changed their PR company and the new guys didn’t see fit to invite me.

billnanson likes this.
  8. Any good blogs, sites and information to release dates and wines themselves. Most major merchants seem to avoid and I’m scrabbling round late on trying to find the one or two producers I fancy this year.
    The Sunier Fleurie 15 I enjoyed and still have a case and also found some 17s knocking around. Morgon for 16 but after a recent offline I’m wondering how long that will need as was quite difficult.
    I just like to have a case of 6 or less per summer to open.

9. For me Sunier 18 a big step up on his 15, which can sometimes be a bit bacterial

Charles Muttar likes this.
  10. I’ve drunk a few each of the ‘15s. Fleurie has been sound & occasionally thrilling; Morgon offers more, needs time & a bottle last month was farmyardy , despite precaution of extra care with storage.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  11. I agree with Jasper when he says that “the 2018s are mostly much fresher (than the 2015’s), though there are still some late picked horrors, and a few with dry and dusty notes.” I was showing and visiting at the ‘Bien Boire en Beaujolais’ 2019 tastings, at the beginning of April. Interestingly, many of the wines that were offered for tasting were still 2017’s, which is just as it should be. The 2018’s from most of the better estates were (and still are) in their élevage period, some probably not having finished their malos.

One thing that comes out of this discussion is that we have a clear-cut split amongst consumers who like very different styles of Beaujolais. Those who love the atypical, black cherry and cassis style of the 2009’s and 2015’s and others who love the ballet-dancer freshness of such vintages as 2010, 2012 and 2016. I do think that 2018’s have some of the fruit intensity and structure of the 2015’s but there is more than just a whiff of freshness that pervades these potentially very well-balanced wines. One of the things that seriously worried me when tasting some 'zero-interventionist' 2018's, was the lack of concentration and clear dilution, in many of their wines. Maybe they weren't ready for tasting and it might have been more sensible to wait until the summer to show them - or maybe they were just picked too late and were over-extracted ....?

Anyway, I am going to return to taste across the region (sometime in July) and hopefully will have a more definitive picture by then. In the meantime, for those who can keep their eye-lids open, I attach a technical 2018 Beaujolais vintage review, which might start to get you interested. It is something that I produce in English and French for our worldwide customers and also for some of our 'friends in the press'.

Attached Files:

12. Christopher Piper likes this.
  13. Hi Christopher, I think it's more likely the rendement - particularly-so in the 2018 nouveaus, the BJs & the BJVs - 2017 is much more consistent in all those three sectors, having had its yields trimmed by the frost - many were zero interventionst when it came to debudding too :)

14. Hi Bill, yes, it was definitely the yields, especially as quite a few of the 'non interventionist' types certainly didn't discourage yields, so as to re-stock their frost-degraded cellars. The problem is then exacerbated when wine-makers try and fill the 'hollows' with some over-extractive techniques or worse, the use of MPC Macération Préfermentaire à Chaud (or as some of us call it, 'cocotte à la minute'). Great colour, shame about everything else...

billnanson likes this.
  15. I have always felt in an obviously unsophisticated way that in warmer vintages Beaujolais faces towards the Rhone and in cooler towards Burgundy.

16. What was the descriptor that caused such debate in a Bojo thread a few months back? For me it was the equivalent of shrill and nervy but for others (the kind who like ballet dancers) it had a more positive connotation. IIRC the Dear Leader weighed in on this. Anyone remember?

17. David, they may just be late in sending invites, I got one yesterday. In any case I can’t go, so have sent it on to you via email.

18. Thought I’d resurrect this to see if any further thoughts. I did buy few cases and just seen the vinous report.
    Maybe I’ve not looked in the right areas but don’t see many places that have good information and articles each year or see tastings though I’m sure there are plenty of both.

I bought the Julien Sunier Fleurie, Clos de la Roilette / Coudert Fleurie Tardive (which I see is top scorer at Vinous and has a drinking window of 2024 onwards) and Lapierre Morgan.

Will be a number of years before I try them but still have some 15 and 16’s.

19. I've had some very disappointing ones from producers I usually like a lot -- e.g., Brouilly from Thivin, Clos de la Roilette from Coudert. Very jammy and overripe, lacking any freshness whatsoever. I've had some good Gamays from the Touraine, though (and some overripe Chinons).

Christopher Piper likes this.
  20. Were these at tastings Claude or drinking them already. ? Normally would want 2-6 years age on them first of any decent level ones which Thivin and Coudert are I thought.
    Do you think they are richer than the 15s ? I actually liked a few 15s I’ve and not started on the 16s yet at all and probably won’t until summer 2021.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  21. Mike -- these were bottles that I purchased to sample here in Paris over a few days each. There are annual wine sales in France in September and October, and these bottles were about €10 each -- had they been good, I would have gone back to buy more, but instead I found them almost undrinkable. I'm not a fan in general of 2015 or 2017, preferring 2014 and 2016, but these 2018s were quite a bit beyond 2015 and 2017 (vintages, especially the latter, that I often found lacking in freshness).

22. Ok thanks. Guess I’ll find out how I find them in 5 years :)
    The 15 sunier Fleurie I’ve enjoyed though they do have some power. I’ve not had a 16 yet but have a few in bond to start drinking I next year or two. See how they go down the road.

23. The Fleurie '15 has drunk well from outset.

24. I should add to my comments above that although I found many 2015s and 2017s to lack freshness, I didn't find the overripeness that I'm finding in some 2018s. But tastes vary.

25. We opened our first 2018 Benjamin Passot Juliénas (Vayolette) this evening
    i reckon he could well become a star producer.

Christopher Piper likes this.