Are we opening some better bottles as we approach lockdown?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Thom Blach, Mar 16, 2020.

1. This 1990 Faivelely Echezeaux has taken a long time to come around and was formidably tannic it is youth. It is still quite tannic but clearly now in mid-life. It was wobbly out of the blocks then straightened up and got into is stride after about two hours to deliver a wonderful dense and intense core of mature echezeaux, but was still a little rough round the edges those aggressive tannins are still lurking. If I were to score it I would say 92-94.

However it was outshone by the exquisite bottle of 2009 Sorrel Hermitage Blanc Les Recoules - absolutely sumptuous with pear, quince and a long luscious finish. Not quite as spectacular tonight but outstanding wine. 94-96.

Tonight it will be joined by a bottle of 1985 Tignanello. The label is badly scuffed so no photo. As usual a bit oxidative upon opening but that should blow off.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. Tignanello 1985:

Bricking, browning. Delicious ripe, mature Tignanello with luscious morello cherries and fine savoury line of Sangiovese fruit and the minority cab adding a bit of finesse. Rich mahogany, furniture polish, leather and truffly-earthy notes add to the appeal, but also tell you it is time to drink these up over the next couple of years. This wine will not improve and is probably approaching the end of its drinking window, but still, having followed this over three decades, albeit intermittently, imho a legendary wine in the Tuscany hall of fame.

3. Lockdown is still, imho, a good excuse to open good bottles especially when you have an anniversary coming up in my case not a remarkable number or year:

D7EF9539-B174-4322-A4C9-AF2D93840935.jpeg

Chateau Talbot 1966 - just as good as the bottle I had in Paris exactly two years ago at Francois Audouze’s event with Tim McCracken, probably even marginally better; beautifully poised and resolved red fruited wine with cedar, cigar box and ashtray, perfect seamless texture, it glides over the palate with weightless elegance; a sublime expression of St-Julien. Tonight it was just singing. Just wonderful. Sigh.. An absolute treasure, so demure.

My daughter who is in her early 20s much preferred the Talbot to the PYCM 2011 Meursault Perrieres, which is drinking well, and is fully mature, but without much excitement. I wonder if these need drinking up? I have some 2011 PYCM Corton Charlemagne in storage maybe I need to get to work on those too.

4. Love the 66 Talbot. I've been lucky to have a few bottles and they have all be really rather wonderful. Glad to see you're enjoying the good stuff on lockdown Ian and bon anniversaire!

Ian Hampsted likes this.
  5. Sounds like I need to try my Talbot 66 - unlike Ian's it's an English not a Chateau bottling. Only one bottle, unfortunately...

Ian Hampsted likes this.
  6. I will repeat my admiration for '66 wines - plus those old Cordier Talbot/Gruaud bottlings, what a treat that was.

A couple of bottles of PYCM St Aubin '11's were still energetic and strong last summer fwiw.

Ian Hampsted likes this.
  7. Mike, what are you waiting for?
    As a general comment I think the 1966 vintage is a much better bet than the 1970 vintage for claret.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  8. I am slowly consuming 3 cases of ‘66 (Cantemerle, Beychevelle, and Haut Brion), Cantemerle is on the way down fast while Beychevelle and HB still have years to go.

9. My birthday present:

0240ABBD-0D44-4842-9D63-AAD46F7AD070.jpeg

10. A nice piece of lamb or steak to eat with it, mainly, though since I have not located it yet I have a minor worry I may have left it in London...
    I am currently using some of my time here to try to rationalise the cellar so it might be in the area that is currently hidden behind a pile of boxes, in which case it’ll turn up soon.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. Arguably would have been more appropriate in the normal weekend drinking thread... But happy birthday. And rest contented in possession of one of the rare unsigned copies.

Ian Hampsted and Edward Bolland like this.
  12. Something out of the norm here for a change, to go with a WOTP rump of Ledbury lamb.
    Definitely garnet from above...

8229CB94-91DC-4BAA-A086-2D9EBAD54F45.jpeg

But a nice bright ruby side-on:

F6C985ED-773C-4BD3-817F-CFE966720757.jpeg

13. 7A336B5A-3449-495F-95D5-04628433AF3A.jpeg

A couple of bottles of 2003 DP Rosé this evening to celebrate #2 daughter’s seventeenth birthday. This is a bit of a revelation, and much better than any 2002 that has come my way. Lightly perfumed, notes of strawberry, delicate and nuanced on the palate, no hint of overripeness or heat, altogether quite marvellous.

14. Nice looking shed too, Edward.

15. As was a Rully Cailloux 11 last month....so am surprised by the note on the Perrieres...

Simon Grant likes this.
  16. Last two weeks I have become a touch concerned as to the previous value of my recycling box as I tot up roughly the value of the now empty bottles. We are pretty much avoiding weekday drinking but Friday evening the corks are off and several bottles are consumed.
    It’s money already spent so that’s not the main concern but more the future.

17. Is there a point of equilibrium at which the long time wine buyer feels they have exactly the right amount or is the transition from not enough to too much completely seamless?
    As a random anecdotal observation the only two PYCM bottles I have ever felt to be overly evolved were both Meursault Perrieres. It is a great vineyard with which I have had an inordinate amount of bad luck.

18. Thom, I'm guessing you are quite well-placed to answer that question ;)

19. This one was left over from three weeks ago, and I decided to have a crack at it. It has been standing up in the same place at the bottom of the house for three weeks now.

By the way I don’t consider this to be an ‘old’ wine ex ante.

1EECF8B8-AB93-484B-8BAC-9FB7D35D216B.jpeg

In fact it is youthful and in tip top condition:

DEDC3A39-8437-49E9-8586-57B2637FA14B.jpeg

With the trademark elongated cork:

C91715C1-41FC-44BC-AE79-ED3FC38B42A7.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020

20. Surely belongs in the “are old wines better” thread !

Edward Bolland likes this.
  21. Ian,
    Conan Doyle might suggest.

a)You were expecting trouble = Durand.
    b) You had limited expectations = Glass.

Hope it is fantastic and a belated Birthday wishes.

Ian Hampsted and Adam Haines like this.
  22. Fourrier Clos St. Jacques 2007 tonight’s delight. Miserable still because of the very sad news about the Ledbury, where so many happy lunches and dinners took place, I thought this might be some consolation. It was. Such a harmonious wine. But got to the end of this lovely wine and still feeling very sad that all Brett and his team built has probably gone, and many employees will struggle to find jobs.

23. Gaja, Sori San Lorenzo, 1985

Struck a rich vein of Piedmontese magic and perfection. In the sweet spot; gorgeous nose entices you into a rich, spicey Piedmontese magical mystery tour and heady paradise of dark fruits, woodsy bonfires and herbs; it still has grip, punch, power, persistence and exhilarating tension on the palate, with superb precision and definition, and a classy lingering finish.

It reminded me of the extraordinary 1971 San Lorenzo I drank a few years ago with David Wainwright. When Gaga gets it right it is just thrilling. This is quite possibly the best Piedmontese wine I have ever had the pleasure to drink, and certainly in the top five. I caught it just at the right time too. I would estimate this wine’s peak is something like 2015 to 2035.

My wine of the year and I doubt anything will eclipse this. I should have drunk this on my birthday even though the Talbot 1966 was a worthy wine on the day.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  24. I love it when Gaga gets it right

Ian Hampsted likes this.

25. Ian,

Conan Doyle might suggest.

a)You were expecting trouble = Durand. That decision was a function of the age of the wine and the notorious length of the cork - I think Gaja’s corks may be the longest in the business

b) You had limited expectations = Glass - I always test in an ISO for no very logical reason. The wine was consumed in a Zalto burgundy glass, ideal except for the fact of how quickly it vanished.

Hope it is fantastic and a belated Birthday wishes.
    Thanks Ray, I hope you are well and not running low on stocks of the bubbly stuff