Are we opening some better bottles as we approach lockdown?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Thom Blach, Mar 16, 2020.

1. That does look dark for a '96, even from a half-bottle.

We drank a 2001 Tokaji Aszu 5 Putts over the past three nights and it started off similar to your Yquem and then darkened markedly from day to day, until last night it looked like varnish.

2. To give me some NZ wine education after my awful showing in the quiz I opened a 2008 Felton Rd Pinot Noir block 3 this evening, which was lovely. From forumite Mr Sidebotham, no connection etc
    • 2008 Felton Road Pinot Noir Block 3 - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago (08/04/2020)
      recently acquired, this still tastes relatively youthful although I suspect it’s calmed a lot since release. We decanted an hour and drunk over 3 hours, this wine has many more years left in it. The aromatics are of earth, cherry and raspberry with some star anise and sandalwood, the palate is darker cherry fruit, plum, a few velvety tannins are on the middle of the tongue, and then that wave of acidity washing it through a really long finish. Very nice and would love to check this again in 5 or even 10 years (92 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

3. Great note Simon, I opened a 2007 last year, and wrote this

23 July 2018 - this has aged well, I haven't had other FR wines to compare, but it was rich, balanced, a lovely wine. It's started to move into the tertiary phase but i'm unsure how much it would improve from here.

I have various single bottles, but never know when to open them.

4. The 2008 is the oldest Felton Road that I’ve tried but have seen some good notes on bottles back to 2001 in the past few years. My feeling is that they can be 20 year wines in decent years, I only started buying the 2009/2010 vintages so there’s a way to go before I find out, but they do give a lot of pleasure from 5 years onwards depending on your tastes

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  5. I've been drinking Felton Road since the '97 vintage. Excellent wines, with the single blocks meriting the premium. Never cheap, prices have edged up & aren't unreasonable.

6. I drank a Felton Road Block 3 PN 2004 with other forumites 12 months ago and it was excellent at 15 years old.

7. Gone through a few interesting whites over the last week or so. 02 fevre les clos was in fine fettle but not very exciting or chablis like. The ampeau 96 perrieres on the other hand was both perfectly perrieres like and very exciting. A simply wonderful wine. After a faulty first bottle of 2015 germain meursault vireuils, a second bottle was very good and disappeared way too quickly. Most recently, a first bottle of the 15 errazuriz pizarras was very impressive indeed. One of the best new world chardonnays I’ve had. A mythical blend of a very good meursault, puligny and chassagne, if such a thing were possible.

Gareth Powell and Nick Amis like this.
  8. On Monday I took a punt on a Canonica Barolo Paiagallo 2015 being open for businness still, and it was.
    Wild, red fruited nose with maybe a bit of VA. Palate complete - funk, fruit & interest. Really long finish, which shows a touch of the heat of the vintage (a slightly kirsch like note), but this is so very long and really lovely. With time in the glass lots of truffle emerges on the nose and wild strawberries on the palate. the heat on the end dissipates to be replaced with a pleasing bitterness. Really lovely and so approachable, but can see this shutting down at some point in the future.

Ken Oliver and Graham Harvey like this.
  9. They drink pretty well all through in my experience, Oliver, but I’m not sure they make the oldest of bones. The 2004 is stunning right now, and I wouldn’t say that of most 2004s, probably.

Just a shame they’ve been “discovered”. I got 2013 in bottles and magnums for relative peanuts - that wasn’t the case for 2015, and 2016 will be even more no doubt.

Oliver Coleman-Green likes this.
  10. Oh, it's possible. But it would have to be called Bourgogne blanc. :rolleyes:;):p

Mark Collings likes this.
  11. Thanks, Bryan, good to know. This was only my second ever from Canonica - I had the Grizane Cavour blend ‘14 at Bovio in La Morra last year for very little money (40-50 Euro if I recall). It was really good, but shut down completely about halfway through the bottle.

12. F26E9BEF-50D2-4C30-AA05-4B346E375808.jpeg

More new wave Barolo. A&G Fantino Bussia 2013. Great intensity, but balanced and not harsh at all. Delicacy and depth. Persistence. Structure without heaviness.

13. Tonight a Clusel Roch 2010 Vialliere. But you know what? Not worth the premium over the village wine. A little more depth perhaps, a bit more substance. Violets, lilies, road tar and blue fruit: all very pleasing. But the Schistes bottling gives very much the same sweet, supple, low-structure rendition of Cote Rotie for half the price. I like this Domaine, but I don’t love it.

14. IMG_3094.JPG

The above twosome are from early last week, separate evenings.

Disappointingly, the Jobard was 'hard work' & after I'd opened it with keen anticipation. Not premoxed initially, the dominant feature was bitter, charry, oak - or akin to that - notwithstanding the age. Last from a case (12) drunk over a few years I can't recall previous bottles being this 'difficult'. The second half of the bottle on day two was heading to that premox cliff rapidly, having darkened quite appreciably whilst fridged, and on the palate deteriorating further. Hey ho.

The Corton on the other hand drank very well. I'd taken a previous bottle to a York lunch last year when, whilst it was fine, I felt at the time it was over shadowed by other, better, bottles. No hard 1995 type edges to this last week. Its in a great place & was much enjoyed. Dispassionately, without being hyper-critical, it wasn't for me a grand Grand Cru - drinking more akin to a very good 1er cru. Very nice wine though. One left which I'll try & leave a while to see how it develops.

15. After a month of drought I plan to open Pousse d'Or Pommard Jarollieres 1995 today. As it is from the old regime there, as well as 95, it may look at me askance for interrupting its sleep.

16. Interesting Richard. Until very recently drinking a barolo that young would have been considered infanticide - although perhaps 2013 is a year where the wines are coming round earlier, assuming more 'modern' winemaking?

17. I think Barbaresco 13 is a fairly open vintage but Barolo 13 not terribly. It's probably more down to how a specific wine is made.

18. Recent Lafarge and Gaunoux 95s have been nicely ready, FWIW.

Jeremy Caan likes this.
  19. Absolutely. I’m no expert on these wines, but I had it from someone who is, that this would be approachable... and it was. Perfect storage so definitely not advanced. My sense is that the winemaking is responsible - it feels very carefully balanced.

Jeremy Caan likes this.
  20. Thanks Richard

21. I'm not sure I'd call a 25 year old wine "premoxed"! :)

22. I get where you are coming from Steve :) but on day (or rather evening( one it was definitely not showing premox 'tendencies' and, to be honest, didn't really come across/taste as 'that' old a wine e.g like an Ampeau - just, as I said earlier, unpleasantly bitter, charry, oaky when I really wanted to love it. I only met M.Jobard Snr the once, briefly, in Puligny Le Trezin at 2006 harvest time when I was working for someone else & he was on his vineyard tractor. I'd have loved to have known him properly as he always struck me as my kind of proper vigneron. I've never met Antoine or had any recent Jobard wines, more's the pity. But !!! I'd definitely call this bottle premoxed on evening two. The change from the night before was pretty dramatic obvious - and, wounded like many of us, I've had enough premoxed white burgs to know one ! Reference Justin W's other thread my worst, serial, offenders are Ramonet - no question.

23. I take “premoxed” to be an abbreviation of “prematurely oxidised”, being the troublesome phenomenon that became evident from the mid-90s onwards. I imagine that Steve meant that a wine becoming oxidised at 25 years old could not be said to be “premature”. Wines were always susceptible to random oxidation even before the “premox” problem. If your wine was not oxidised on day one, but oxidised overnight, it sounds more like a routine process of oxidation than “premox”. I am more tolerant of old wines turning oxidised than I am of the premox phenomenon.

Paul Anderson likes this.
  24. Having been on call this BH weekend I have sampled a daily bottle of beer from the Bradfield Brewery in Sheffield.

I don't drink a lot of ales but quite often life's simple pleasures are the best.

25. So, the Pousse d'Or Jarollieres 1995 today:
    Flashback to an earlier era, like Pommard when I first visited in the late Eighties. To start, a little astringent, a little sharp, although a touch of cola, not much structural tannin, well-fined. Good match to a guinea fowl and chorizo stew. Even went with Langres and Cirone. After a couple of hours still cola, a late sweetness, and pronounced acid persist. Long ish, simple, but simply itself, zero sex. After 4 hrs a touch of swimming pool. I wouldn't buy it but somehow I'm glad I have it. Nostalgia? Or does it reach somewhere by not giving a damn? No hurry, will improve, hopefully like the rest of us.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020