TN Anyone opening anything this weekend??

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Andrew Bajorek, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Adega Sao Nicolau was one of the restaurants recommended to me when I last visited and I'd certainly second the recommendation. I couldn't sample the wines in depth as I was eating there before the rest of my party arrived in Porto, but my limited sampling would encourage me to go there again next time I'm in the area.

2. Should have posted in a different thread - moved to 21-23 Sep thread rather than the previous weekend!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. Soalheiro prices are way up in Alberta.

4. Went to friends for dinner on Friday. Took a Jenkyn Place Blanc de Noir (2010) which compared well with a bottle of Billecart Salmon NV. Then a White Burgundy whose name I don't recall. A young Mosswood red showed plenty of promise. A 2011 Felton Road Bannockburn Pinot Not showed that it can age well for a few years. Finished with a glass of Ch Coutet. I love friends like that!

5. 90E20686-26E1-4F72-9D7A-CB4D014A3826.jpeg
    Another brilliant vintage of this benchmark wine. Sorry to keep banging on about the quality of these wines,but this is really very very special. Of course you won’t be able to buy it now but grab the latest vintage and store it away for 5 years minimum . Such incredible value for money . My wine of the year so far but it would not surprise me if it was not my budget white wine of the year .
    Outstanding

6. Huet Mont Moelleux 2003 - too young but I'm not sure age will save it from the flabbinating effect of low acidity.

7. A Storm 'Ignis' Pinot Noir 2016 which was a disappointment, or at least not what I'd hoped it would be.

Had with venison fillet, polenta chips and assorted roast veg.

Then a Contino Reserva 2012 which was exactly as expected and none the worse for it!

8. @Mark Carrington the Bara was excellent, full of Pinot generosity but a firm backbone of acidity, perfect example of an 08 from Bouzy. I suspect it'll be better in a couple of years but delicious now.

@Thom Blach the Boudots was the Gagey, some browning in the colour, but not particularly mature on the palate. However relaxed enough to be really enjoyable now. Just slightly rustic and ferrous but with a hint of Vosne velvet, I felt the Jadot corset slightly constrained the wine and would have preferred it to have let loose slightly. Still very good and encouraging to drink a 99 that was open for business.

Tonight a 2010 Moreau Maltroie. The nose leaps from the glass, it's electric, so limey it could almost be an Aussie riesling. As it warms the palate broadens but still so full of energy. I love this producer. I sold a six pack of this to someone on the forum and now hugely regret it!

Thom Blach and Steven Pritchard like this.
  9. Just opened a Dauvissat 1er Forest 2004. My gosh this is ravishing! Mouth coatingly unctuous with great weight and precision. It has an extraordinary creamy and saline finish. And what length! An early contender for white of the year. Should be perfect with some Isle of Mull scallops we managed to secure yesterday. Apparently a favourite of Prince Charles.

10. Fantino Disubbediente 2010 - appealing midweight tannic structure but the lightest touch of blotting paper gave me pause.

11. A Bereche NV but left at TWS for a couple of years, nicely balanced, 2015 disgorged, warm toast and nice cut. Also a Pierro Chard 2011 which was in excellent shape. Sadly a Mt Elizabeth Semillon 1993 had a delightful ethereal nose, lovely honey blossom, but had just started to turn, just a tad too late.

12. After a few pints of Guiness at the pub we came home and opened an old bottle of red, a 1997 Quinta do Crasto Vinho Tinto, Douro (13.5%) bought many years ago. The bottle has a large Wine Magazine International Wine Challange gold medal sticker on but that didn't help this poor thing. It was palatable but that was about it. It was a good vintage in the Duoro but what with Crasto making a pair of top-flight single vineyard wines, single varietal wines from Touriga Nacional and Tina Roriz, and the reserva Old Vines, there probably wasn't much left to make a good, durable red. I would have been better off with a good old Daõ.

QuintaCrasto'97.JPG

In case I had forgotten about the wine and if the label was marred at least I would have known it was a 1997 wine before opening because they put the vintage on top:

CrastoCork'97.JPG

Mahmoud.