NWR Anyone buying a Tesla Model 3 (or any BEV) ?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alex Lake, Apr 30, 2019.

1. I hear that ordering for these beasties is set to open in the UK fairly soon. I wonder if any here are going to indulge? I've been lucky enough to be able to wangle a model S through the company, but I hear the 3 is better in many respects (although it's the Y that appeals more to me on account of the hatchback).

2. Nope, but then I’ve got an S... if I was re-buying now I’d seriously consider it. The fact it’s not a hatchback annoys me too. I’d probably need a week to adjust to not having the display in front of me as well.. love having maps right in front of me on the S

3. I have had a model s for 4 years now and got the model 3 a couple of months ago to replace my wife’s car. Model 3 is a phenomenally good car. Accelerates like a Porsche, great minimalistic interior, plenty of autonomy, much better build quality than the old S. Only downside I see is that it remains expensive at purchase (though MUCH lower running costs vs normal cars) and inconvenient for folks who don’t have a driveway to charge it. Driving this it’s hard to see much of a future for ICE cars, and that’s coming from someone who before that had been driving various (manual) iterations of the 911 for 15 years.

Alex Lake likes this.
  4. I’m on the list! However right now I don’t have a drive. Once we’ve moved house I’m going to look into petitioning our local authority to let me drop the front kerb - right now having an electric car is not a permitted reason but I am going to see what I can do...will be a fun experience to engage with our locally elected leaders anyway...

5. Yes, I've reserved. Keen to see final price. I think quoted by Elon Musk as £33k now for UK market, but this presumably prior to £4.5k government subsidy?

6. Ordering system is open now so you can go configure and see directly

James Davis likes this.
  7. A future of silent, super fast cars frightens me somewhat!

Mahmoud Ali and Leon Marks like this.
  8. With batteries on all 4 wheels, are these effectively 4 wheel drive with off road capabilities to match?

9. Actually when they're going fast, they're just as noisy! I believe legislation is coming for noise requirements at low speed.

10. £38,900 "before savings" is as clear as mud as to whether or not that includes the £3,500 grant.

By the way, I presume those about to place an actual order know that they can get 5,000 miles of free supercharging by using a referral code from an existing Tesla owner (and the same benefit goes to the referrer). I'm sure that the Toms and Alexs would be more than pleased to oblige there ;-)

Edit: I see that the £38,900 has the grant included, so it's really £42,400 at the moment.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 09.10.24.png

11. I’ve got unlimited supercharging so I’ll let someone else post their code (as it might benefit someone else) - that said people are obviously free to use mine, pm me. Latest news from the Tesla owners group says that the system doesn’t currently allow for entering a code w the model 3; pretty sure they’ll let you add it later though

Alex Lake likes this.
  12. One bit of advice I'd give to anyone looking at the basic model would be to check the premium connectivity options (Nice maps with traffic - for me, a must). As far as I can tell, the price of this has not been released. It may be just £100/year, but they may also ask for a one-off expense.

13. Oh yes, I guess other Tom will be the same. Happy (and grateful!) if anyone wants to use mine.... PM me

14. As another S owner I would probably have chosen a 3 if it had been available at the time. The S is a great car but just too big for UK country roads for me.

As another Tesla Owner I am happy to give a referral code, the 5000 mile free supercharging only lasts until 28th May after that it returns to 1000 miles.

15. PPS, work around for referral code:
    Use referal link as usual, select model S, then change the URL from model S to model 3 (ie, tesla.com/en_GB/model3/design?referall=blahetc..

16. ingenious!
    Like others, I received the email this morning asking me to configure my model 3. Not decided yet whether to proceed with the purchase. I test drove an S six months ago and loved the tech, but was disappointed by the build quality. Thomas' praise for the 3 (and his history of 911s) encourages me. But I have a hankering for a noisy V8 before they go the way of the dinosaurs.. "Lord, make me virtuous but not yet".

Leon Marks and Alex Lake like this.
  17. Just wondering - I understand that there is a "standard" model without the plus that you can order, but only from stores. Might be below the £40k luxury tax level.... Anyone going for that?!

18. I wonder how the fuel saving is calculated? Is it a comparison with the cost of fuel for a petrol or diesel engined car? And is it based on your annual mileage?
    Then it seems to get a bit confusing with all the other extras you can get.
    I have a BMW 330e PHEV at the moment but its due for renewal in November. I'm not sure if my home charging point will be compatible with a Tesla. I'm more tempted to go for the new model 3 series hybrid rather than full electric.

19. Should be just a type 2 - the difference will be that you get 9mph on the BMW I think (vs 21mph on an Model S - I'd assume the Model 3 is the same)

20. I think I've answered my own question re the whether the car is 4wd or not. Looks like it's AWD only in the 2 motor version. Is that the version on sale here yet or just the single motor version?

21. Both on sale

22. I thought your post was just a little joke! ;-)

23. How confusing that they're both Model 3's! What kind of charging point do you have?

FOr the savings:
    I think if you regularly make long journeys (>250 miles) and are in a hurry, Supercharging can be slower than going to a petrol station. It's getting better all the time, though. Model 3 much quicker than my Model S at the v3 superchargers - I would think that you could replace 80% of charge in 20 mins or so. (going from 10% to 90%). Putting the last 10% in is very slow, and dropping below 10% is brave.

My main motivation for going electric was to be clean, but it can work out financially in certain circumstances (esp. as a company car) and it's fun yet relaxing to drive.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  24. One other thought regarding the cost of electric vs petrol - petrol prices will probably rise, and electricity will rise too. I think the new requirement to have smart metered charging is so that the government can tax EV electricity seperately to domestic electricity.

Richard Zambuni likes this.