Any views on the Great British Menu "scandal"?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alex Lake, May 19, 2019.

1. For some reason we had Netflix for several years that we didn't have to pay for. I only ever found three things to watch.

2. That's another 7.99 per month saved then Tom!

3. But it was free!

4. The trouble with most of the content was that it is American, in colour and filmed after 1980, which is not at all what I want from my audiovisual entertainment.

5. Despite it being Hollywood, a fan of The Last Picture Show I hope, Tom?

6. Wonderful podcast thank you! Listened to all three episodes now and have signed up to their patreon...

Alex Lake likes this.
  7. It was good, wasn't it? Made you want to be there.

8. A shame. I know he has his detractors, but I've always thought him a good egg, and enjoyed a few visits to fifteen. Chains are a bit of anathema to me, so never did Jamie's Italian.

9. Alex Lake likes this.
  10. BBC have replied to my complaint....

Paul Day likes this.
  11. Which is a load of BS IMHO!

Paul Day likes this.
  12. Actually, that’s fair enough I think. Would have been better if she’d credited her inspiration on camera, but we’ve all eaten or seen things that we’ve adapted or replicated to some degree. At least it wasn’t the direct/complete rip off it first seemed.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  13. I’m sure that the results were permitted within the rules and that would lead naturally to the response Alex got. But to me it doesn’t seem quite right to me in the Great British sense of fair play, especially in a competition that clearly prizes novelty and innovation. If the goal was to make the best chocolate tart I would happily concede that any starting point goes and if you can perfectly replicate the chocolate tart of L’Ambroisie, then well done.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if rules were clarified and tightened in any future series to avoid similar potential issues.

Alex Lake and Po-yu Sung like this.
  14. I have no problem with a facsimile as long as it's credited and it tastes good. 'Pierre Koffmann's Pied de Cochon' seems to crop up on menus all over the place.

15. Unfortunately, I don’t think that dish would get you far in this somewhat bizarre competition. At least one judge would certainly recognise it and say it was a direct copy, probably dismissing it as “so 1980’s” at the same time. Another would say it is too rich.

16. Agree with Paul, it's fine if it's in a restaurant, but in a competition doing a dish highly similar to where it's 'inspired' from, is not a fair play (if it's really a competition) or a honest play.

17. I don't watch it but I'm surprised to hear there is anything genuine on it all tbh!

18. The best version was of course Marco-Pierre White's Pied de Cochon Pierre Koffmann !

19. I’ve never seen the show but remember the old format of master chef when a contestant cooked a recipe from a Gordon Ramsay book when he was the judge.

20. A little before my time unfortunately. Did you ever have the original at La Tante Claire? The one I had at Koffmann's Berkeley incarnation was truly memorable.

21. I've only tried one from Harrods, in the format of foil sealed pre-cooked package. It's indeed rich to a nearly intolerable level; my lips were glued afterwards. I wonder it would be much better if it's in a restaurant.
    I just want to say, I much prefer simply pig's hands, with all the bones and meat still in, stewed in soysauce, rock sugar, rice wine, ginger, spring onion, star anise. I will stew til soft while bones intact, serve it cold when the crunchy texture still there, with garlic soysauce. Or, keep stewing til the bones start to fall out, then serve with steamed rice together with the stew sauce.
    (sorry for totally off topic)

Alex Lake and Thom Blach like this.
  22. I'm not sure it's totally off topic, Po-Yu, the Koffmann dish is in some ways really for those who don't much want to be eating pig's feet, it's a bit wet not to have bones involved, whereas chinese(and traditional rather than haute cuisine french) renditions are for those who'd rather be eating them than anything else.
    Richness in some ways is how one defines it, though, analytically there's plenty of gelatine and fat in chinese versions though I suppose the cream in the chicken mousse stuffing and the butter finished sauce does push it a bit further
    Unfortunately not but I've just remembered a sensational rendition at John Burton-Race's L'Ortolan. He crashed and burned in the end and seemed to considerably lack interpersonal skills but he was an absolutely brilliant cook.

23. The trotter at La Tante Claire was astonishingly rich. The one I ate at Koffmann’s years later was marginally lighter - perhaps less cream and sweetbread and more chicken and onion in the stuffing.
    In retrospect I rather regret I always went for his burly meat dishes - pressed duck and hare royale also live in the memory - and never the fish.

24. NYE 2106 K & I travelled up & dined at his restaurant at The Berkeley NYE, for his last ever lunch service. I specifically wanted to partake of his trotter dish - it was worth the trip.