Travel A Walking Thread

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Adam Holland, May 21, 2019.

1. Worth having a look at that ifootpath app - we found a few nice walks in the Chilterns.

2. Alan, your photo of St-Martin-de-Canigou brought back wonderful memories of walking there back in maybe 1988 or 89 when we stayed overnight in Casteil and walked up there. I’m sure I’ve mentioned before here how when looking down on the abbey we could hear the plainchant of Mass wafting up to us on the still morning air. I believe the order is (or was) silent apart from the services (and the monk showing people around).

I have that very photo, although not as well lit as yours. The Pyrenees have a wild quality in parts that the Alps lack.

Another great abbey in a nice walking location is San Père de Roda on the other end of the range. This is a ruined abbey, and it has what some say was the first barrel-vaulted church in Europe. It’s not far from Cadaques and La Port de la Selva, and the French Border. The Pyrenees here just seem to crash into the sea.

Alan Michael Gay likes this.
  3. Off to Skye tomorrow for a weekend of walking (some climbing), but the weather looks terrible so gorgeous photos like those above may not be possible.

4. I'm off to Gairloch on Saturday for a week, but looks like the weather will be miserable until at least mid-week. Guess we'll do some pottering around to waterfalls, and go to the pub, until then.

5. upload_2019-5-23_10-50-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-23_10-51-27.jpeg

Yesterday evening a quick walk in the Suffolk Alps ( Box Valley)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. The view from Loughrigg recently over Grasmere. Loughrigg Terrace is supposedly the best balcony walk in the Lakes but recently we did Gowbarrow Fell from Aira Force and the views over the length of Ullswater are really spectacular (so good I forgot to take a pic).

upload_2019-5-23_13-8-7.jpeg

7. Great thread! There are really too many UK walks to single out particular ones, but of the longer walks in this part of the world, Wainwright's Coast to Coast (west to east), the Lykewake Walk over the North York Moors, and parts of Hadrian's Wall are all well worth doing. Further afield, we enjoyed Offa's Dyke from south to north, completed over 3 summers.

In Europe, I have walked for many years with Alternative Travel Group of Oxford (no connection, except as a customer). This year, we are just back from a week with them on the Via Francigena's southern reaches, starting at Bracciano and walking north to Bolsena via Vico, then deviating to Orvieto. Around 110 kilometres over 6 days, up & down the caldera of 3 extinct volcanoes. Similar walks in earlier years have included Basilicata, Sicily, Umbria starting in Le Marche (over the Monti Sibellini and the Piano Grande, walking west to Spoleto), the Cevennes and the Basque Country from the high Pyrenees to St Jean de Luze. The ATG philosophy is that the quality of the walk is paramount, but subject to that they find the best hotels (or agriturismos) and the best food & drink available along the way. And they are very strong on the cultural aspects of the walk, and on the flora and fauna.

I have also walked in the South Island of New Zealand, where the Routeburn and Greenford Tracks (8 days) in particular remain vividly in the memory.

8. Used to walk in the Pyrenees every other weekend much of the year when I lived in Zaragoza. I also rate it really highly - reckon the Spanish side probably has the edge over the French side, though;)

Alan Michael Gay likes this.
  9. Certainly gives the French side a run for its money. Crossing thru la Brèche de Roland into Spain you are greeted by the Ordesa Canyon. Absolutely stunning.

10. Thinking of doing Barolo in the autumn of next year, Ken. Do you care to enlarge on your commendably succinct post, please?:)

11. Ken likely has more experience than me of walking in the area, but one of the great things is that all the villages are essentially walkable from each other, within a few hours (and often less than, e.g. Monforte->Barolo>La Morra>Verduno are each 1-2 hours apart). You get to walk through the vineyards and the villages can generally be clearly seen on the hilltops.

If it would be of use, I have a copy of the Langa Barolo Pathway Map (recommended to me by Ian Sutton if I recall) that I could post to you if you PM your address (or handover at a WIMPS?) It has the trials between the villages, directions, time estimates and elevations for the routes. It is quite basic and only a few euros and available over there in all the tourist offices, but may be useful in advance for planning.

12. Mark, we’ve tended to use Monforte d’Alba as our base in recent years. Our recent pattern has been one fairly long walk, usually to Castiglione Falletto (pre-lunch refreshment), then Serralunga for lunch, before completing the loop. Then a shorter hike to Barolo for a bit of a walk around and maybe a tasting or two, followed by lunch, looping back via the Ravera vineyard in the direction of Novello, but veering off towards Monforte before the long road up to Novello itself. As Oliver says, there’s a good map of all the vineyard trails, and they’re all pretty well marked on the actual routes.

The steep hills make you feel you’ve earned your lunch and dinner!

Happy to provide further details if useful

Ken