A couple from Daily Drinker

I put an order in with these guys because I wanted to try the Retsina, but I had to get a case and have sampled a couple of other wines first

F11341E5-82B9-4E56-915C-53BD034C738C.jpeg

Floral nose with mild tropical fruit. Peachy creamy on the palate reminiscent of Viognier, touch of Gewurzy lychee. Moderate acidity that largely counteracts the richness. There is a sweetness to it, although probably technically fairly dry. A fun “patio wine” that works well as an aperitif.

2A2002F7-E92E-45ED-93AF-DDB8E5144876.jpeg

The Lugana is rather fresher and more saline. Quite classic "Italian white wine" with white fruits to the fore (pear, apple). Simple but delicious. Clean finish that gently lingers in a quietly beautiful non-showy way. Not sure what more can be said, but it's a wine for drinking, not analysing!

Have tasted Lugana and it is very good. Haven't tasted that particular Torrontes, but have tasted a lot (including this article and tasting of 21 examples I amassed - Torrontés, the new Pinot Grigio? | wine-pages). I think it can make a really interesting wine, definitely with Muscat and Gewurz characters, but that floral aspect can be a bit overwhelming and I think, is what stops it from becoming mainstream. Most are technically dry, but there's soemthing about the fruit and aroma quality that tells the brain they have a bit of sweetness.

I seem to remember a Torrontes I picked up in a Bibendum sale about 20 years ago* that was much more like Chardonnay. Perhaps it was oaked? I would have thought that this style of wine would have very wide appeal, given that things like Prosecco are so popular (as you say - it could easily be the new Pinot Grigio) - it just needs a celebrity endorsement or two!

* I have a vague recollection that Andrew Stevenson was someone who had mentioned this wine at the time.