TN 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein "Krettnacher Euchariusberg" Kabinett Alte Reben Fuder 8

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein "Krettnacher Euchariusberg" Kabinett Alte Reben Fuder 8

Acidity 11,1 g / RS 45 g from 70-80 Jahre old vines (Euchariusberg-Großschock)

Classic Kabinett, as the bottle is almost empty in 10min. Again, dances like a prima ballerina over your tongue with its elegant fruit-acidity play and a polished good integrated acidity. Furthermore a juicy fruit combined with spicy elements. Bottom-line, such a sublime, precise, dense and slim structured Kabinett. BRAVO

93-94/100

IMG_2405.jpg

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:
Rave reviews from MFW for their '19s, across the range.
Yes to an extent but they do say only at the top and also with the producers and styles you know. They want NOT to buy blind as many are quite rich and sweet but the top producers have made some stunning wines. I’ve tasted a few Kabs now and they have been very good in my eye,

Will be very reasonably priced by Howard Ripley (offer out shortly) but will almost certainly be allocated. Last year was first imported to UK. More goes to the US, but very sought after there.
Not almost certainly but certainly.
Last year at their tasting was the first time I’d encountered Falkenstein and really enjoyed the Gislea. Asked for a couple of casss and recieved a couple of bottles . Mind you I hear that’s more than some got. Maybe a bit like the J Haart Kabs. I’ve asked now for a few years and received zero as allocated. I’ve resolved that issue by finding at other sources this year.

A number of very good Kabs and Spats this year available at some rather good prices. I tried the Fritz Haag last week and thought it was great and I don’t drink much of theirs (older GK and a good case of 2001 Kab that was still drinking well not long ago.) W Schaefer, S Müller and many more and all at very reasonable prices thankfully.

I slightly wonder at all this attention directed at Falkenstein - I will try to buy too as I like the wines but if you don’t get any don’t be overly concerned. I’ve tasted quite a few von Schubert and Fritz Haag wines from low end to Auslese GK and even auction wines and they were very impressive.

And four wines from Knewitz which are going to be fantastic value for money!

Falkenstein was not imported officially in the UK until last year. It has been hugely popular in the US for years. They sold out regularly at the Domaine.

Let me point out though that the philosophy of the Domaine is not one of crafting wines for the long-haul, in the spirit of Prum et al., rather one for short term, happy, fresh kind of drinking... And let me tell you, in that respect, the wines are extarodinary (Gisela in particular).

They used to have a fantastic Sekt. This was also highly quaffable in sunny vintages.

Let me note that also for Germans it is not easy to buy the wines. Every year in february the estate is sold out. It has to do in part based on the fact that Hofgut Falkenstein has established a strong group of private customers over the years, especially before the estate was well-known. It seems that Erich Weber still cares very much regarding his old customers. In order to illustrate what a great/special person Erich Weber is, in the last years he came to Berlin personally and delivered his wines to customers including me, he came to my house and gave me wines with a big smile. He is such a passionate guy, wonderful.

Last edited:
Interesting Filippo. MFW put drinking windows of up to 20 years for the 2016-18 Giselas and 30 yrs for the 2019. They also don't recommend drinking till c. 8yrs after the vintage.
I've also found very young Giselas to be just a bit too fresh.

Last edited:
I slightly wonder at all this attention directed at Falkenstein - I will try to buy too as I like the wines but if you don’t get any don’t be overly concerned. I’ve tasted quite a few von Schubert and Fritz Haag wines from low end to Auslese GK and even auction wines and they were very impressive.

And four wines from Knewitz which are going to be fantastic value for money!
I agree. Lovely wines but our Bordeaux correspondent and MFW are both showing a lot of new people coming up to discover alongside the acknowledged stars, whose estate releases are all still stupidly cheap for the value they offer.

I wish all success to German producers, but at the same time I’m hoping they don’t go like Burgundy and Barolo (and even the wines of some Jura producers, for goodness sake).

Well, I’m still able to pick up superb Mosel/Nahe wines with decent age on them for next to nowt, at auctions or backfilling. For the up & coming producers I have to venture into the roughhouse of retail but prices remain absurdly low, compared to the overhyped other ‘classic’ regions. The producers deserve to earn more & I wouldn’t object in the slightest.
As for Falkenstein <shrug>.