2018 Bordeaux EP kicks off

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by David Mansfield, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Carmes Haut Brion looked like on of the better deals. Announced with 13.75 alc. it seems ok in the context of the vintage as well, therefore I grabbed some.
    Cheers
    Rainer

Alex Jagger and Richard Zambuni like this.
  2. I'm yet to see Carmes released anywhere in UK.

Tomorrow at work i will be trying some barrel samples, Lafon Rochet, Carmes HB and some others, i will let people know my thoughts.

Cheer
    George

3. The Carmes has sold out at Farr, Lea and Sandeman & Fraziers. Sounds like it is rather popular.

4. I was interested to see in the WSO pre offer today that Lafite is listed at 13.3% and Mouton 13.5%, Margaux in the middle at 14% with HB and LMHB at 14.5%.

Palmer at 14.3% and Las Cases, Ducru, Cos, Montrose at 14.5 and - wait for it - Calon at 14.9%.

I wonder if looking back at '09/10 whether the spread was quite so large but I'm finding it a bit boggling.

5. Bought 12 halves of Beychevelle. :D

David Mansfield likes this.
  6. Thank God for that as I really start to struggle with red Bordeaux when it gets over 15.5%.

Thom Blach likes this.
  7. If anyone has a line on the availability of some Carmes, I'd appreciate a nudge.

8. It is curious to reflect on other vintages. Farr's seem to be using 2005 for their price-wise comparison.

In their blog, Stephen Browett provides some interesting thoughts on the 2017 Southwold tasting of 2005's: he really likes La Mission (14.5%). And Tertre Roteboeuf. But re St Emillion generally ...

"These were controversial wines ... I don’t normally name the wines that scored badly, but the likes of Pavie Macquin, La Mondotte, Troplong Mondot, Larcis Ducasse, Beausejour Duffau, Pavie Decesse and Gracia received low scores from most of us – none failing to average even 15.5 out of 20. These had clearly been over-extracted at birth and they suffered now from excruciatingly dry, rasping, woody finishes. Despite high scores from some critics, I would be very wary of buying these wines unless you like power above finesse. For me, they are charmless, soulless wines that could come from anywhere in the world and have none of the class and sophistication that one looks for in great Bordeaux wine."

Also for detailed focus on different vintages, Cheval Blanc’s website is worth a look.

9. Julian

Millesima may have some Carmes.

Julian Seers-Martin likes this.
  10. Julian I may. Let me check and will send you a contact.

Julian Seers-Martin likes this.
  11. Carmes, Calon and Beychevelle seem to be selling through at several merchants. How do the volumes released compare with previous vintages?

12. Copied from B Butschy (April 3rd) found on la passion du vin and googled translated:
    Exceptional the 2018 vintage in Bordeaux? The media machine is launched, the owners want to be persuasive, the usual thuriferous Bordeaux wines add layers. All in one goal, that the whole world is rushing on the wines of Bordeaux and buy them indiscriminately as in 2015 (with a superb Right Bank, but where in the Medoc North many took the water) and at a high price .
    However, after more than 1200 wines tasted at all price levels, I am far from sharing this enthusiasm, and I am not the only one.
    Certainly, alcohol levels are very high, tannin levels (the famous IPT) too. And besides, they are very fresh (oh well, in a hot vintage?). But strangely enough, we never speak of a fundamental parameter, the dry extract, which is often lower than that of 2017.
    As in all post-frost vintages, as in 1992 after 1991, yields are high. Certainly the terrible episode of late blight (more often black-rot elsewhere) has more or less dehorned. But especially the terrible drought of August and September has blocked much of the food of the vine, from which tasting troughs in the middle of mouth and steep tannins that affect many wines (and explains the famous freshness of wines ).
    I remember in passing that the 2003 vintage had been praised a bit for the same reasons and prices had exploded. Where are the 2003 today? Strangely, nobody talks about it anymore. It is the buyers who paid them at gold prices who are the turkeys of the stuffing.
    The 2018 vintage has produced some very fine wines, especially in the cold soils, and particularly on the clay soils, where the water supply of the vine never stopped. Elsewhere, one must be more than circumspect. The wines are very heterogeneous and, to set foot in the dish, they are often not fundamentally better than 2017, except for those who have mastered the vigor of the vine and especially in those who have living soil with deep roots . But there is still a lot to do. "

13. Keep an eye on Lay and Wheeler, they are yet to release it, could pick up a few bottles

14. I'm also intrigued by wines like Belgrave, Le Boscq. Prices are fair and lots of wine available.

I will post my thoughts on the wines im trying tomorrow. Barrel samples of; Belgrave, La Garde, La Garde Blanc, Les Carmes haut Brion, Talbot, Lafon-Rochet, Le Boscq, Beau-sejor Becot.

15. I bought a case of Carmes in ‘16 and ‘17, but was only allocated a half case this time

This is the 4th vintage under the new owners and it now seems they are cutting allocations (to be fair, they may have had problems) and it will be difficult to get. This is similar to L’If, where I was able to get 11,12 and 13, but since then it’s either disappeared or been at a stupid price.

My guess is that going forward the only reason to buy EP is to get in on the next ‘Chateau on the Move’ while you can and 3 years may well be the limit of how quickly it will take for the market to respond to the improvements.

16. I visited a nearby well known and respected merchant last week and noticed that they had some Pavie-Marquin 2006 in a box near the front door. When I commented (assuming blithely that it was ready to be collected by a customer) was laughingly told that it was going back to head office as it was so embarrassingly poor as to be undrinkable, let alone saleable. A second bottle had been opened after the first had been tried in order to check that the first hadn’t been an aberration. It merely confirmed how terrible the wine really was.

17. I am so using this phrase in the future. And, to set foot in the dish, I agree with him on much of the vintage assessment.

Thom Blach and Antoine Singer like this.
  18. Cameron,
    as far as I know the new owners bought the chateau late in 2010. I bought it the first time in 2013 ( btw. a very, very good wine ) and got it afterwards every year and was allocated the same number of bottlesin 2018. No reduction just a higher price.
    Cheers
    Rainer

19. I like this one too

20. Thanks Rainer

I was mixing up the facts from Jeff Levy’s site - he thinks there was a qualitative leap from ‘14 onwards.

Farr said the allocation was down 25% and if that happened across the board in the UK, then there had to be some cuts. Glad you got a case.

21. Anyone have any views on Pontet Canet ? Reads like it’s a bit of a freak, which usually appeals to me.

22. Try before you buy. It's not your usual Pauillac.

23. Here's the original from Bernard Burtschy

Exceptionnel le millésime 2018 à Bordeaux ? La machine médiatique est lancée, les propriétaires se veulent persuasifs, les habituels thuriféraires des vins de Bordeaux en rajoutent des couches. Le tout dans un seul objectif, que le monde entier se rue sur les vins de Bordeaux et les achètent sans discernement comme en 2015 (avec une Rive Droite superbe, mais où dans le Médoc nord beaucoup ont pris l'eau) et au prix fort.
    Pourtant, après plus de 1200 vins dégustés à tous les niveaux de prix, je suis loin de partager cet enthousiasme, et je ne suis pas le seul.
    Certes, les niveaux d’alcool sont très élevés, les niveaux de tannins (les fameux IPT) aussi. Et de plus, ils ont très frais (ah bon, dans un millésime chaud ?). Mais assez étrangement, on ne parle jamais d’un paramètre fondamental, l’extrait sec, qui est souvent inférieur à celui de 2017.
    Comme dans tous les millésimes d’après-gel, à l’exemple de 1992 après 1991, les rendements sont élevés. Certes le terrible épisode de mildiou (plus souvent du black-rot d’ailleurs) les a plus ou moins écorné. Mais surtout la terrible sécheresse d’août et de septembre a beaucoup bloqué l’alimentation de la vigne, d’où en dégustation des creux en milieu de bouche et des tannins raides qui affectent beaucoup de vins (et qui explique la fameuse fraîcheur des vins).
    Je rappelle en passant que le millésime 2003 avait été poussé aux nues un peu pour les mêmes raisons et les prix avaient explosés. Où en sont aujourd’hui les 2003 ? Etrangement, plus personne n’en parle. Ce sont les acheteurs qui les ont payé à prix d’or qui sont les dindons de la farce.
    Le millésime 2018 a engendré quelques très beaux vins, en particulier dans les terroirs froids, et singulièrement sur les terroirs argileux, où l’alimentation hydrique de la vigne ne s’est jamais interrompue. Ailleurs, il faut être plus que circonspect. Les vins sont très hétérogènes et, pour mettre les pieds dans le plat, ils ne sont souvent pas fondamentalement meilleurs que 2017, sauf chez ceux qui ont su maîtriser la vigueur de la vigne et surtout chez ceux qui ont des sols vivants avec des racines profondes. Mais là, il reste beaucoup à faire."

24. It is the buyers who paid them at gold prices who are the turkeys of the stuffing.

Of course, here, farce was translated as stuffing while the other (and intended) meaning is of "farce" is joke or prank... with the dindon been on the receiving hand... Google is great at translating!

25. Reminds of the shareholder agreement in Mandarin I saw in a professional context, that someone had put through google translate. There were more references to elephants and toast than I was expecting to see in a shareholder agreement.