2018 Bordeaux EP kicks off

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by David Mansfield, Apr 16, 2019.

1. with Angelus..........

2. Actually it kicked off last week with Belfont-Belcier (and a couple of others).

My report coming soon! 2018 was a game of two halves, and there are some truly great wines. But not as many as James Suckling thinks there are (IMO)! And there are also some misses...

3. 9% down on last year, good sign

4. I am not buying this year. Think it might make sense to ride this vintage out and pick up at lower prices in a few years

5. I've got my eye on just a few but it's really all about the pricing so unlikely!

It might also be a vintage to see whats what in bottle and further down the line.

6. As in previous vintages, I will be buying (and recommending the purchase of) well-made wines whose final landed price looks to be a considerable saving on the eventual retail price — which was the whole point of en primeur in the first place, as far as I'm concerned. And whatever doubts one may quite reasonably harbour about the value of cask samples, being in a position where I've tasted those wines doesn't hurt either... ;)

7. Northern Medoc good, Rod?

8. Northern Médoc, Pomerol, anywhere with significant Cabernet Franc (or up-to-a-point Petit Verdot).

The best estates have made their best wine since 2009, (other than the 2016s). But those who did not handle either mildew or heatwave correctly have ended up with uneven wines. Very much the exception, but nevertheless an issue.

9. Zero interest in buying but as ever always interested in the whole campaign as a whole.

Bordeaux EP always seemed far more of a focul point of my wine buying year pre 2006.

10. At 41 I’m far too old for EP!

Leon Marks likes this.
  11. 2010???

johnny Shek likes this.
  12. Yep - I reckon the best are better than the 2010s. Actually it resembles 2010 - to taste - in terms of tannin profile. But the results have been (far) harder won. Suckling and a few of the Bordelais are suggesting it it the equal of 1982 and better than anything since. I don't agree (although in the former case, only time will tell). Certainly 2016 is a better vintage, because pretty much everyone made their best possible wine. And whatever else 2018 is, it is not uniformly anything.

13. Thank you, young man!

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  14. So you rate 2009 above 2010?

15. No, sorry, I realise that has how it came across. 2010 is definitely more refined than 2009.
    For me 2016 is the best vintage since 1989, and 2018 has not eclipsed it. The very best wines are close though, and at least some of them are superior to the 2010s.

16. Even if best since 2010, is there any rush to actually participate in the EP campaign? The 2017s were all over-priced so a 10% reduction is not meaningful. Angelus 2010 is available at £1644 per 6 whereas the 2019 at £1530? Does not make sense to buy the un-bottled 2018 IMHO.

17. I wish they wouldn't send me all the emails. I've only ever bought one case of claret EP, and I regretted it!

18. I'll be buying a very small amount for a birth year (probably Lynch-Bages), but nothing for my own drinking pleasure

19. For Angelus 2010, I have quite a bit of sympathy with the following viewpoint:

"2010 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    The 2010 Château Angélus is a very, very ripe wine that is already brutally astringent from the combination of wood and skin tannins and was emphatically one of the driest and most out of balance wines that I tasted during my days on the Right Bank. Needless to say, this was no small feat. The wine was harvested between September 28th until October 21st, with the merlot brought in by the 14th of October and the cabernet franc gathered over the course of the following week- no doubt with everything well over 14.5 percent alcohol. Despite the late harvesting, the nose is really quite deftly-crafted and exotic, as it offers up scents of black cherries, mocha, cigar smoke, a touch of toasted marshmallow and a very classy smorgasbord of new oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, sappy and very polished on the attack, with a thick core of fruit, and a searingly dry, out of balance and harshly tannic finish. At least the wine is not overtly hot on the backend. Given the amount of wood tannins that are already firmly in place here, only a few months into its elevage, one can only imagine that this will get more tannic prior to bottling. The 2010 Angélus is a perfect example of how easily the wood tannins were sucked out of the new oak during the malo in barrel this year- due to the high octane- and how the wine never stood a chance against the onslaught of such habitual stupidity in the cellars. It might have been a better use of the wood used for all the new barrels here to build a few tumbrils for the folks responsible for this mess in 2010. A wine this astringent seems likely to never have the potential for a pleasurable moment to drink it, but I would try to chew through it on the early side, rather than wait in the hopes that the tannins will ever soften. At least it is not as bad as the almost painfully offensive Pavie this year! ??? (68-73 pts.)"

John Gilman
    View From the Cellar
    Issue #32: Mar/Apr 2011 (3/1/2011)
    The 2010 Bordeaux Vintage: Very Ripe, Very Tannic and With Just A Few Great Successes

20. Paul, I haven't tried the Angelus 2010; if you have, then I defer to your judgment. Other critics - not just RP - seemed to like it. e.g. Neal M praised it in 2014.

Hard to disagree with Graham's observation on relative value of the EP offering. The lauded 2016 is available at just over £1500/6.

21. @Paul Day I've not tried the 2010. Merely talking about statistics and prices and the Gilman rating is certainly an outlier, and as @James Gardner identifies, the 2016 looks like a safer buy for a tiny bit less £ which is in bottle and with more reliable scores. My conclusion remains that 2018 Angelus is not worth buying /or there is no incentive to buy it, at this stage.

22. Name and shame, please? ;)

23. Gilman is notorious in preferring extremely classical wines though. For contrast, this is a Jeff Leve 99 pointer, so the diametric nature of opinions doesn't really surprise me.

24. Also Gilman's score is of a cask sample so it would be foolish to read too much into it.

25. I would always give Gilman's perceptions the most serious consideration though sometimes he's a bit of the 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' persuasion in the way of Mark Carrington's mother, and conversely can show great enthusiasm for things that are fabulous in cask which have little hope of making it into a released bottle.

Charles Muttar likes this.