2015 red Beaujolais - Wow!

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Nayan Gowda, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Yes, 2018 seems to have been much more successful than 2015. I had a 2017 Griottes de Brulhié from Thivin on Sunday and it is absolutely delicious, still very youthful too. I enjoyed the vibrancy but I'm sure it will develop complexity and savoury notes.

2. Some 2015 will probably turn out very well if given time. Others, to my taste, lack phenolic ripeness which makes them rather dry and heavy on the finish. Julienas might be a commune to investigate in this vintage as it has the backbone to last but isn’t as big as Chenas, Morgon or Moulin a Vent.

2016 and 2017 are very nice, typical vintages with some excellent wines but will probably be overlooked in the longer run.

2018 are superb, ripe but balanced and great perfume. A fill your boots vintage for Beaujolais.

3. Where are we buying from that has a wide range of Beaujolais 2018 and allows mixed cases?
    I have mixed a couple of cases from TWS and the range is good, but are there other outlets?

4. Had a 15 yesterday after seeing this thread and thinking I hadn't had a Bojo for over a year.

Underwhelmed by Fleurie Colonies de Rochegrés 2015, Chateau de Beauregard. Can't really see any reason why I'd drink this over a Ribeira Sacra Mencía or a Cerasuolo, or... it's OK but it just isn't remotely exciting (unlike the previous). Maybe I'm buying the wrong producers? I love Foillard but it's getting too expensive to be anything other than a rare pleasure:(

5. It's interesting tracing this thread back to the beginning as the high alcohol was already becoming evident on release and as people's impressions have accumulated the enthusiasm for 2015 has waned

6. When tasting from barrel/tank I think my reaction was mainly that it wasn't a vintage that conformed to my personal taste, but that I recognised would be commercially and critically well-received because of the richness and power. Certainly when I tasted the 2016s at the generic tasting (I think at Bedales in Spitalfields) there were a few 2015s that all stuck out like a sore thumb and confirmed my personal preference for the restraint and subtlety of 2016.

7. A Clos de la Roilette 2015 drunk al fresco over the last three hours - initially reeked weirdly of coriander seed and Parma violet scented dates, by the end was singing like Janet Baker under the stars.

Krishan Roopun likes this.
  8. Opened a bottle of Foillard Cote du Py 2016 yesterday and finished it at lunch today. Strawberries, cherry and herbs. Pure enjoyment.

Simon Wheeler and Chris Davies like this.
  9. Not tried any of my 16’s of this yet, it sounds lovely Jonathan and maybe one to pull from storage now ?

10. I agree, the 16 Foillard is a wonderful wine (based on multiple bottles in Paris nearer release).