2015 red Beaujolais - Wow!

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Nayan Gowda, Mar 4, 2016.

1. We should put alc levels up for the 15s we try. Contemplating a Bojo 15 tomorrow. It's only 13%. If I go with it, I'll report back, but may change mind

2. There is now... and it's intriguing for the way it's structured and what it says about the vintage, though Mark P's comments about the Loeb one are tempting me...

3. I notice in the wine society offer the Burrier/Beauregard wines are relatively expensive vs Coudert/Burgaud/Thivin. Has anyone tried them?

4. not tried those Ben, but the Thivin wines really stood out at the Beaujolais offline a few years ago.

5. thanks Mark yes the reason I ask is that I think the three others I mention are very good producers, so wondering how Burrier/Beauregard justify the premium?

6. I've also tried the Brouilly 2015 from Domaine Alain Michaud, bought at BBR. 13.5% alcohol. This showed a dry finish and was rather closed. I found this rather hard to judge and it might well improve but it seemed to lack fruit.

7. Quite impressed with the Burrier St Amour Les Bessets 09 the other week. I've kind of given up on Bojo (Foillard excepted) since the 09 vintage, but this was very good, a serious and structured wine that would have aged further, I think. Very Burgundian.

• 2015 Julien Sunier Fleurie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (13/11/2017)
      Violet rim; a rush of strawberry on pulling the cork, there’s an attractive seriousness with air, cherrystones; silky fruit, with a lithe backbone; finishes with aplomb & weight. Initially a joyful frivolousness, supple, this a gravity & presence which merits giving this more time. (92 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker
    13.5%. Wasn't planning to open, but needed something to accompany calves liver. Our last of three, should've bought more. Next up the Morgon.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Glad you liked it, Mark. I've tasted through a lot of 15s and every Sunnier (in fact I mean from both of them as well as the Crus) have been among the best. Their relatively moderate alcohol, compared to some 15s, must have something to do with it?

After last year's eye opening trip to Paris for Noovo I am actually looking forward to grabbing some of the new glouglou versions of this rightly maligned wine this year. I have, however, declined two invitations to be there at midnight for the official opening of Nouveau Day. Far too old and frail for that kind of wild living.

9. A bottle of the Brun L'Ancien '09 tonight is just lovely - light on its feet but succulent and juicy, fresh, balanced and what it lacks in complexity it compensates for with a persistent and enjoyable finish.

Perhaps not much more improvement to be had but this bottle feels youthful still. The 12.5% alcohol feels refreshingly light.

10. I opened a ‘15 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py about 3 weeks ago, didn’t really like it as I thought the alcohol was too high, it was labeled with ABV 14% but probably higher than that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. If there's 14.5% on the label I'd rather drink Barbaresco.

12. I tasted it and thought as you did that it had more than 14% to my palate, though sometimes 14% on the label can go the other way and taste like 13%. I didn't buy any 2015, but I am told the 2016 is a different thing altogether and I look forward to trying a sip soon. That said, although the 2015s I liked best were those where the alcohol was held in check (I would prefer to drink Grenache if it's 14%), I did think that the Foillard 2015 had a certain impressive quality to it.

13. I bought my first case of this last year thinking it may be a nice one for this summer. Not had before so great to see such positivity

• 2015 Julien Sunier Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (04/03/2018)
      Maroon, violet rim; splendid summer fruits on expansive bouquet; plush fruit, underpinned by smooth tannins, well weighted; lovely finish. Delicious now, with plenty of time in hand. Complete. (93 pts.)
    A notch better than the Fleurie. Will re-buy both.

Edit. Here's my most note for his Fleurie.
    • 2015 Julien Sunier Fleurie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (13/11/2017)
      Violet rim; a rush of strawberry on pulling the cork, there’s an attractive seriousness with air, cherrystones; silky fruit, with a lithe backbone; finishes with aplomb & weight. Initially a joyful frivolousness, supple, then has a gravity & presence which merits giving this more time. (92 pts.)

Who needs wine that takes 20 years before it's ready?!

14. Just read Martin's assertion that one should avoid Beaujolais in the much hyped vintages. He then gives 2009 as a recent example. I am just amazed at this astonishing view. 2009 gave us truly beautiful wines. At the Companions du Beaujolais recent Diner de St Vincent in London, the star of the evening was a glorious Morgon Côte du Py 2009 Trenel. As for 2015,I opened a Domaine Rochette Beaujolais Villages very recently. Wow! Such intensity! it reminded me of a young Moulin à Vent. I will certainly buy more of this "much hyped" vintage.

15. Is intensity what one wants from Beaujolais Villages, Howard?it is not the first characteristic which comes to mind for the appellation but I don't really know enough about the subject.

16. Well Thom, the wine was delicious which is the main thing. From a villages, I do not expect to find enormous finesse or delicacy. Usually it is just a very light easy to drink wine that one does not need to spend a moment thinking about.
    The one I drank, just grabbed my attention. Not only was it intense and delicious, I think that keeping it another year or so will even improve it!

Alex Jagger and Thom Blach like this.
  17. I thought the whole point of cellaring Beaujolais was to turn it into a Burgundy. The vintage merely to dictate the amount to time required.

Mahmoud.

PS: Should I be using emoticoms on this post?

18. Cellaring Bojo? I thought it was for drinking? :)

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  19. That was for Beaujolais Nouveau, in which case on the way home, before it started turning.

20. Mahmoud, a good one can be great even in March or April ;) .

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  21. I once had (by mistake) a bottle of Tesco Bojo Nouveau with about 10 years of bottle age. It was better than it would have been on release.

22. How do you know Alex?

23. Not 100% reliable, but I’d bought a couple of bottles and had some, wasn’t that keen and then didn’t feel inclined to open the second one... when it surfaced, thought I’d give it a go and it was ok.