2006 Italians

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Adam Ventress, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:01 PM.

1. No, not the world cup winning team...

Tidying the cellar last night to make room for clearing the shop after the shutdown announcement last night, I re-discovered that I have quite a few Italian wines from 2006 vintage that I have been saving for about 9-10 years- mostly Brunellos and Barolos, and I was wondering about approaching one or two while we're having to spend every evening in.
    Has anyone broached any 2006 Brunellos, Barolos or similar in the recent past, and have any opinions on how they are developing? I'm guessing 06 Barolos are still hard as nails, but a Brunello might be worth a dabble one of these evenings....

2. Castello di Ama and Ceparello not open for business last year, suspect a good Classico or entry Brunello like a Poggione would be starting to open. 07s are starting to drink, Montevertine Rosso is in a nice spot now.

Adam Ventress likes this.
  3. Yeah 07s are a different matter entirely, huge difference between the two, some 07s were ready almost from release.

4. Take one for the team, Ventress!

5. I can't comment on the Brunello wines - I've never got past dabbling, due to the dabbles producing decidedly mixed results

Unless intentionally made to soften tannins and acidity (analogous to declawing a wild animal?), I'd be leaving the 06 Barolo wines for much longer. I'm reasonably confident it should end up a very good year, but now is not their time.

6. I suspect good brunello is not ready yet and barbaresco could be drunk with a suitable decant. perhaps uncork and try a glass to evaluate whether aeration is necessary? And please report back - we need all the vicarious enjoyment we can get!

Adam Ventress and Mahmoud Ali like this.
  7. Gosh, I would think that Barolos, Barbrescos, and Brunellos from 2006 would be far from ready, but that is just my opinion. On the other hand, in these days of peril, if one doesn't have anything older, then surely it is worth a go.

8. I had Poderi Colla Bussia Dardi La Rose 2006 recently and it was fairly uninspiring and flat.

9. No 'serious' Piedmont tried.
    Three recent-ish Tuscan notes & one for Montevertine. The latter was scheduled for a re-try, but I discovered it's elsewhere. May open Il Poggione instead.
    • 2006 Caiarossa Pergolaia Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (07/08/2019)
      Mellow, fully mature, warm, old leather, tertiary. Drink up. (87 pts.)
    • 2006 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (05/11/2018)
      Remains very dark; meaty, substantial, imposing nose, gruff; big-boned, powerful yet measured, old school charm with a bit of flash, refreshing acidity; assertive finish. Plenty of time in hand. (92 pts.)
    • 2006 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (18/02/2018)
      Quite dark; classy bouquet , well judged palate, shapely, rounded classic profile; depth to distinguished finish. Should drink well for a decade. (91 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker
    • 2006 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (27/06/2013)
      Mid garnet; smoky, subtle sour cherry twist, fragrant, lifted, iron tannate; dry, savoury, leathery, refreshing acidity, grippy; an attractive, pure & persistent finish, with a taut, edgy snap. (93 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

10. That's pretty much word for word the conversation I had with myself before considering it! :D

The oldest I have now is 2005 Barolo, I was disappointed to find I have no more 2004s, I thought I did!...and I drank all my 90s bottles a while ago.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  11. We drank a 2006 Siro Pacenti Brunello two weeks ago and it was still quite closed.