TN 2006 Bilancia 'La Collina' Syrah, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by PhilWilkins, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:00 PM.

1. Zero seepage on the Diam closure this bottle (my only one) is really hitting its straps, a step up from the 2005 drunk previously with elegance/purity of fruit being the main difference. Almost fully mature the harmonious palate shows blackberry/damson/liquorice/hydrocarbons/violet/some minerals/an iodine complexity etc all nicely balanced between primary & secondary. There are no meaty notes which I thought a bit odd. Lots of interesting textures with offshoots of acids/fine tannins/feisty finish. One of the best NZ Syrah I’ve ever had. Superb. 14%vol 94pts

2. IIRC, Phil, you brought along this wine (vintage?) to a Wimps. It was an eye-opener.

3. I remember Phil raving about this wine many years ago, on the strength of which I bought a bottle from TWS when they listed a subsequent vintage. It was by some distance the most expensive NZ wine I’d then bought, but it proved to be worth the money. I think my bottle was about 10 years old when I drank it. Bilancia’s “basic” cuvee was more widely available IIRC, and that provided excellent VFM.

4. I bought a 6-pack of the 2008 which I am slowly enjoying.
    Great fruit, more "in your face" than the Rhone but very well done.