wine-pages.com home who's who review user agreement old forum TNs

UK Drinks Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» UK Drinks Forums » Off-line Planner » Grand Charity dinner with Hugh Johnson Sat 31st Oct the Square. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Grand Charity dinner with Hugh Johnson Sat 31st Oct the Square.
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Prothero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following on from the success of the 61 La Chapelle charity dinner, I am proposing another dinner for Pebbles .

The list of wines so far;(in order of vintage and region---- not serving order)

Pol Roger 1996 in magnum

Trimbach Clos St Hune VT 89
Trimbach Clos st Hune Hors Choix 89
Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese 89

Lafite 1950
Petrus 1950
Palmer 61
Lafite 82
Cheval Blanc 85
Montrose 90 in magnum

Leroy Chapelle-Chambertin 66
Musigny Georges De Vogue 78
Leroy Les Beaux Monts 90
Rouget VR Cros Parantoux 93

Chave Hermitage 90
La Chapelle 78 and 90
Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon 90

Yquem 86
Climens 88
Tokaji 5 puts 37

Bual Quinta do Serrado 1827

The" buy now" price which will secure your place is £1000.There will be 6 "buy now" places limited to regulars on this Forum.
Otherwise bids are invited with the auction closing on Saturday 17th October at 12 noon

There will be 12 seats available and two others reserved for my guest Mr Hugh Johnson and myself.

You can be certain that a fabulous menu matching the wines will be prepared by the Square and the price for this is a special price of £110 per head--thanks Nigel.

BIDS

Nigel Platts-Martin £1000(buy now)
Bobby Chandra £1000(buy now)Pd
Linden Wilkie £1000(buy now)
Paul Day £1000(buy now)
Filippo Ginanni £1000(buy now)
Bryan Collins £1000(buy now)
Ken Lamb £1400
Richard Katz £1200
Max(Richard,s friend) £1200
Charles Morgan £1200
Jeff Warren £1000
Charles Morgan(on behalf of friend) £1000

[ 30. October 2009, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Keith Prothero ]

--------------------
www.justgiving.com/keithprothero

www.thesampler.co.uk

Posts: 25215 | From: Somerset West, Cape and Richmond,Surrey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nigel Williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 people at the table????? [Eek!] [Wink]

Sounds great, Keith. Will monitor the thread closely!!

You are a very generous man.

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

Posts: 5890 | From: Central London, UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Prothero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes correct. Better reduce the number

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

Posts: 25215 | From: Somerset West, Cape and Richmond,Surrey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobby Chandra
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 2324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobby Chandra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Williams:
13 people at the table????? [Eek!] [Wink]

Sounds great, Keith. Will monitor the thread closely!!

You are a very generous man.

Unbelievably so! This kind of generosity and philanthropy is staggering. Sounds fantastic and I too will keep a close eye. Are you limiting the number of buy it now spots?
Posts: 3596 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Yes Bobby there are 5 and I would like the Buy Now people to be regulars on this Forum.
Its a way of saying thank you to the members of the Forum and at the same time raising money for Pebbles.
Obviously I could raise a lot more by just putting the wines in an auction but it would not he half as enjoyable [Razz]

[ 26. June 2009, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Keith Prothero ]

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nigel Williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Prothero:
Yes correct. Better reduce the number

Why not increase it to 14 instead? There is enough wine there, and lots of room in "the room"....

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

Posts: 5890 | From: Central London, UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

PS We had a St John private room dinner for 14 with single bottles recently, and there was plenty wine for a decent taste for everyone, with some left over.

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

OK its back to 14 [Razz]

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

Very weak start, but a long way to go.... Let's get the ball rolling.
£500

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Thanks NigelPM and also NigelW Plenty of time but I do hope the 5 "buy now" places are taken by regulars and we do not have the "one poster" guys snatching the seats at the last minute.
I reserve the right to extend the number of "buy now" slots for the right people [Razz]

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

sean hardon
Solomon
Member # 2477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sean hardon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a strong start Nigel W but I'll match it and if needs be something to get the night started!

--------------------
Bacchus we thank who gave us wine, Which warms the blood within our veins;
That nectar is itself divine. The man who drinks not, yet attains
By godly grace to human rank, Would be an angel if he drank.

http://www.laurenmay.co.uk

Posts: 7948 | From: Belfast, Northern Ireland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Thanks Sean, I think however that I may even produce a charlie . [Eek!] [Razz]

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

Jamie Hutchinson
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 1047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie Hutchinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blimey that looks rather good. Might have to start saving up.

--------------------
The Sampler
www.thesampler.co.uk

Posts: 2539 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

I have added a couple more and there maybe a few other amendments in the next few months.Any changes though will be to improve the quality.
As a matter of interest the provenance on just about all the wines is excellent.

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

Bobby Chandra
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 2324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobby Chandra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a bit of deliberation Keith, I'm in for the £1000.
Posts: 3596 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

Which Charlie? That might influence my eventual bid.

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

David Wainwright
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 1616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wainwright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly Keith this is also the date of the ZACHYS HONG KONG AUCTION and I do have to be there.

I know a couple of people who may be interested so will forward this thread on. Shame I'll miss trying that Guigal.

Best

David Wainwright

--------------------
www.pebblesproject.co.za

"A magnum of Claret is the ideal size for two gentleman dining together, provided they have had a bottle Champagne beforehand."

Posts: 2211 | From: Brighton, UK & Hong Kong | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Brilliant thanks Bobby------------that is a great shame David. I could perhaps make it the following week if that helps and I assume it will not mess anyone else up.
Let me know and I will check with Nigel

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

David Wainwright
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 1616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wainwright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not back until Nov. 7th. Saturdays are a problem that time of year Keith. Thank you so much for asking though, much appreciated.

I'm sure it will go down as one of the all time great dinners and well worth a £1000 for such a great cause.

Regards

David

--------------------
www.pebblesproject.co.za

"A magnum of Claret is the ideal size for two gentleman dining together, provided they have had a bottle Champagne beforehand."

Posts: 2211 | From: Brighton, UK & Hong Kong | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Shama
Solomon
Member # 2341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Shama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
£1000 is too cheap!!!!! Wow what an event.

--------------------
www.winebear.com - Great Wine, Every Time!

Posts: 9730 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Wilkins
Solomon
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil Wilkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhh... that's on my birthday! Who wants to buy me a ticket as a generous birthday gift so I can have a bit of fun! [Cool]
Posts: 9344 | From: Deepest, darkest Cambridgeshire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Shama:
£1000 is too cheap!!!!! Wow what an event.

You are correct Richard and I hope that more than £1000 will be bid after the 5 "buy now " places are taken.

--------------------

www.thesampler.co.uk

Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

quote:
Originally posted by Phil Wilkins:
Ohhhhhh... that's on my birthday! Who wants to buy me a ticket as a generous birthday gift so I can have a bit of fun! [Cool]

I don't.

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

Linden Wilkie
Balthazar
Member # 141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linden Wilkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
£1000 buy it now please Keith.

A great event, for sure!

--------------------
ITB

Posts: 1879 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nigel Williams
Solomon
Member # 376

Feck it Keith - me also for a buy-in. At least 4 of my favourite ever wines on there (the Chave, Palmer and La Chapelles) plus some tantalising others.

Do I get a discount if I don't try the champagne or burgundy?

--------------------
www.nigelwilliams.com

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.wine-pages.com | Privacy Statement

copyright Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com