wine-pages.com home who's who review user agreement old forum TNs

UK Drinks Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» UK Drinks Forums » UK Wine Forum » More e-bob 'moderation' (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: More e-bob 'moderation'
Ian Sutton
Solomon
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another classic from Squire Squires and his school of moderation:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=149846

Tom,
You're obviously missing a potential revenue stream on this site - what with Goran Edouarz et al [Big Grin] [Wink]
regards
Ian

--------------------
Normal for Norfolk

Posts: 8964 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gareth Welch
Solomon
Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gareth Welch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I browse eBob quite a bit, but this has left me very confused. [Confused]

--------------------
Gareth.

Say blah blah blah to chavs.

Posts: 5929 | From: Fareham, England. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thomas Mann
Balthazar
Member # 955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Mann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there was a guy called Serge banned for being generally disruptive and a bit of a tw*t, but not sure where Squires gets off with the whole fraud thing, $6,000, etc.. Strange fellow.

--------------------
Tom (back ITB..)

Posts: 1386 | From: London, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Quelly
Drinking Member
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Quelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy has patently lost it and is the most unsuitable individual
to be given the 'power' to moderate. I have sadly not been 'banned'
but have not returned to that place since my posts were removed.
Can't say my life is any less complete !
Though some lovely people on there. Pity about that wally.

Posts: 6946 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Nieminen
Bēl-šarra-uşur
Member # 572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otto Nieminen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few people who write there whom I like to converse with, so I would like the place to be less agressive so I might enjoy it more. As it is, it tends to bring out the worst in me, so I rarely go there except for Musary stuff.

Having followed Serge's stuff here and there on the internet, I can fully understand why Mark is more than a little angry. I may not agree with the policies that followed, but I do understand. FWIW, here's TORB's little piece on Serge.

-O-

--------------------
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

Posts: 5733 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stuart Peskett
Balthazar
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stuart Peskett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to know how they hope to enforce that.

--------------------
"Barcelona are so overrated, they only have one way of playing" – Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 1196 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Cannavan
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Cannavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From henceforth forward all mentions of the word "pinotage" will incur a penalty fee of $6,000 US.

Unless they invoke the Sanity Clause.

--------------------
Tom Cannavan
www.wine-pages.com | www.thewinegang.com
www.beer-pages.com | www.whisky-pages.com

Posts: 10495 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gareth Welch
Solomon
Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gareth Welch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cannavan:
From henceforth forward all mentions of the word "pinotage" will incur a penalty fee of $6,000 US.

Standard price for any post by, or mentioning K***h P******o, I would propose.

Though no doubt, he'll be on soon to say he can afford it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Gareth.

Say blah blah blah to chavs.

Posts: 5929 | From: Fareham, England. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Quelly
Drinking Member
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Quelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Now where is the Groucho Marx graemlin !
Posts: 6946 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Carrington
Primat
Member # 580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Carrington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Surely sparkling Shiraz should fall within the same criteria? [Smile]

--------------------
Mark
--------------------------------
If you don't want to see the score, look away now.
"For when the One Great Scorer comes / To mark against your name / He writes – not that you won or lost / But how you played the Game." Grantland Rice

Posts: 14761 | From: Dorset, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon Stolarski
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leon Stolarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Dere ain'ta no sanna'di'clause! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Leon Stolarski
Leon Stolarski Fine Wines

The Leon Stolarski Blog

Posts: 3375 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Smeaton
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Smeaton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite Grouchoism:

Emily, will you marry me? Did he leave you all his money? Answer the second question first.

--------------------
http://www.myaware.org/

Posts: 3166 | From: Newcastle upon Tyne | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon Stolarski
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leon Stolarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Quelly:
quote:

Now where is the Groucho Marx graemlin !
IIRC, it was Chico, actually. [Razz]

--------------------
Leon Stolarski
Leon Stolarski Fine Wines

The Leon Stolarski Blog

Posts: 3375 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malcolmwilliamson
Salmanazar
Member # 959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malcolmwilliamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top Marx for that one Leon.

My two favourite quotes about Chico in real life are:

When an interviewer asked him how much money he'd lost from gambling, Chico's reply was "Find out how much money Groucho's got. That's how much I've lost."

After Chico's death brother Gummo said "Chico's favourite people were actors who gambled, producers who gambled, and women who screwed."

Posts: 914 | From: welwyn garden city | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billnanson
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billnanson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like a comedy sketch - actually not unlike some of Mark's moderation - for instance his banning of Alice Feiring. That said, who'd want that job on that site!
Posts: 3285 | From: Beaune, France | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil Holland
Primat
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil Holland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unreal. I have heard that Squires is tetchy... He certainly is "a character"...

--------------------
Neil Holland

If vegetables are so good for you then where does vegetable oil come from?

Posts: 11510 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin Bradley
Solomon
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colin Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Lydia, oh Lydia , the encyclopedia
Lydia the tattoo-ed lady....

Why oh why don't they show the Marx Brothers on New Year's Eve any more?

Perhaps the Scot Nats will bring back the White Heather Club?

Posts: 5648 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malcolmwilliamson
Salmanazar
Member # 959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malcolmwilliamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other fondly remembered Grouchoisms are:

I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.

A man's only as old as the woman he feels.

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Posts: 914 | From: welwyn garden city | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Parsons
Solomon
Member # 328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Parsons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth Welch:
I browse eBob quite a bit, but this has left me very confused. [Confused]

Me too. I go to the rodeo and miss all the fun as well!!
Posts: 6696 | From: edmonton alberta | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hugh Millar
Solomon
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hugh Millar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely look at eBob, only when people here post links to it. This is a classic, but it got me thinking. I've always reckoned that one of the reasons that wine-pages forum is so generally civilised is the use of real names, but it doesn't seem to work on eBob!
Posts: 6607 | From: Buckinghamshire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Prothero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed Hugh,and I think the trend by some on here to change their names is setting a unwelcome precedent.
And it is about time our moderator got his act together and banned them
[Razz]

--------------------
www.justgiving.com/keithprothero

www.thesampler.co.uk

Posts: 25135 | From: Somerset West, Cape and Richmond,Surrey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Slatcher
Primat
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Slatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

From now on it shall be referred to as <sc>Pinotage</sc>
Posts: 11272 | From: Manchester | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Pearce
Balthazar
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Pearce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Squires is a most extraordinary man, with a most extraordinary site.
Posts: 1998 | From: Newcastle upon Tyne | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Carrington
Primat
Member # 580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Carrington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Extraordinary' being a euphemism for.....?

--------------------
Mark
--------------------------------
If you don't want to see the score, look away now.
"For when the One Great Scorer comes / To mark against your name / He writes – not that you won or lost / But how you played the Game." Grantland Rice

Posts: 14761 | From: Dorset, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter May
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sutton:
Another classic from Squire Squires and his school of moderation:

Serge being banned from a forum has about the same news rareity as dog bites man.....

--------------------
www.pinotage.org
www.winelabels.org

Posts: 2945 | From: St Albans, Pinotageshire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.wine-pages.com | Privacy Statement

copyright Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com