wine-pages.com home who's who review user agreement old forum TNs

UK Drinks Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» UK Drinks Forums » UK Wine Forum » TNs: 7 decades of Rioja

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TNs: 7 decades of Rioja
Ray Abercromby
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Abercromby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An excellent tasting put together by Ben Stephenson, formerly of Harvey Nichols, Manchester, and (it would seem) mover and shaker in Manc wine circles.

Ben assembled an eclectic colleciton of wines, and with lovely tapas-style nibbles provided by the hosts, Market Restaurant,, we pressed on. Forumites were present - Steve S, Gunn G and Ivan D.

2001 Monte Real Reserva

Clear red. Modest nose, gently oaky and smooth. Medium bodied, with smooth gentle red fruit and a hint of meaty flavours. Tannins are soft and the acidity is good, with gentle spice and grip on the mid palate. Nice balanced length. Textbook rioja. VG/VGI

1985 Reserva Blanco, Marques de Murietta

Deep gold, burnished. Oaky oxidised nose with a whiff of varnish. Super smooth on the palate with a caramel edge to the flavours. Good acidity keeps the wine quite fresh, while the wine reveals several layers to the flavour profile. Good long length. A lovely example of the style, and very much alive. VGI

1964 Semi Dulce Reserva Blanco, Monte Real

Unbelievably star bright brassy gold. Muted nose, smelling of cheesy puffs, yet with a pure edge. Soft, very soft, with a creamy viscosity to the mouthfeel and soft yet slightly unctuous flavours. The length is not huge in breadth, but the flavours linger for quite a while. Overall, itís off dry as opposed to being fully sweet, with gentle honeysuckle flavours. Elegant, with hardly any oxidation evident. VGI/Excellent

1995 Reserva, Roda 1

Deep red with a slightly opaque core. Herby fruit on a tight nose. Left to open up, the wine is richly fruity with a touch of coconut infused with both red and black fruit. Tannins are good quality and are supportive yet balanced. Well structured, with a long warm flavoursome length. Excellent.

1982 Gran Reserva, Monte Real

Some bricking on the rim. Slightly stinky nose, suggesting a touch of brett. Soft and smooth on the palate, with gentle vanilla oak, a touch of prunes and a mature fruit core. It dries out slightly on the back of the palate as it moves towards a slightly attenuated finish. VGI/Excellent

1982 Gran Reserva, Marques de Caceres

Rather deeper in colour than the Monte Real. Medium intensity nose, with some chocolate aromas, with gentle oak and a subtle richness. Rather more grippy on the palate, with good levels of fruit and a warm spicy wrapper. Clean palate, with some smoky elements, and comes across as a rather younger wine Ė say, 1994. However, itís a touch less complex than the Monte Real Ė while the fruit is much more youthful, there is a lack of character and the wine is somewhat dilute on the finish. VGI.

1982 Gran Reserva, Conde de Salceda

Pale, clear, with a bit of bricking. Lovely aromatic nose, slightly high toned with some savoury elements showing. Warm and evolved on the palate, but very quickly finishes well short, with a dried out finish. This is starting to unravel, and is rather attenuated. Shame, as it was initially promising. VG/VGI

1973 Bodegas Senorio Agos

Bricking edge, pale red core. Old pruney nose, like stewed fruit, with a touch of volatility. Sweet old fruit on the palate, with some gentle spice and a slightly spirity edge. Gently persistent, soft, and the length isnít bad at all. Fades a bit with time, but nonetheless oddly enjoyable. VGI.

1970 Vina Salceda

Corked to buggery.

1970 Gran Reserva, Vina Monty

Nose is totally medicinal Ė like Germolene, followed by a blast of wet dog hair. Sweet fruit, but volatile, unbalanced and short. This is not healthy. Not rated.

1964 Reserva, Monte Real

Surprisingly deep colour with little bricking. Lovely gentle meaty nose with gently fruity richness and a hint of chocolate. Lovely fruit on the palate, showing surprising depth and layers of complexity. Thereís a tiny hint of VA, but very subtle. Soft yet spicy tannins, lovely savoury layered flavours and a long warm lingering finish. Itís slightly drying out at the end, but not overwhelmingly so. What a lovely wine! Excellent / outstanding

1956 Reserva, Monte Real

Deep medium red with a tawny edge. Gentle nose of prunes and dried fruit, with a slightly spirity, porty edge to the nose. Itís slightly muted on the palate, with a hint of TCA, but itís not badly affected. Smooth fruit with good length. Still very drinkable despite the TCA. Drying finish, more so than the 1964. Enjoyable despite not being in the best condition. VGI / Excellent

1944 Reserva, Monte Real

Deep red with not much evidence of age. Rather medicinal nose of germoline. This aroma also comes across on the palate at first, but itís less apparent. Smooth grip on the palate, with drying tannins, but surprising depth. Really fascinating, with lovely fading residual fruit and a really good length. Is this really over 60 years old? Wow! Excellent.

--------------------
Pebbles Rocks!

London-Edinburgh bike ride (Aug 2014): http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RayAbercromby

Posts: 4088 | From: Birmingham (Glossop no more!) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Quelly
Drinking Member
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Quelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray,
Nice notes thanks.
Is the Vina Monty from Montecillo ?

Posts: 6953 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Slatcher
Primat
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Slatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Queally:
Is the Vina Monty from Montecillo ?

Yes.

--------------------
Please email me rather than PM: steve.slatcher@pobox.com
www.winenous.co.uk

Posts: 11343 | From: Manchester | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Prothero
Blue Nun
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Prothero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Master Ben should be introduced to the delights of wine-pages offlines.
Thanks for notes though Ray. Must look out for really old rioja ,as I am not a great fan of under 20 year old examples I have tried.

--------------------
www.justgiving.com/keithprothero

www.thesampler.co.uk

Posts: 25204 | From: Somerset West, Cape and Richmond,Surrey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian russell
Balthazar
Member # 201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ian russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see you are still slumming it this week Ray!

What no Margaux or Yquem?!

Posts: 1542 | From: birmingham | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gu yDennis
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 1112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gu yDennis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is something magical about drinking really old wines... you're consuming a little piece of history for good, but then it has to be drunk by someone...

--------------------
GD

Posts: 3572 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Carrington
Primat
Member # 580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Carrington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the green envy icon, when you need one.

--------------------
Mark
--------------------------------
If you don't want to see the score, look away now.
"For when the One Great Scorer comes / To mark against your name / He writes Ė not that you won or lost / But how you played the Game." Grantland Rice

Posts: 14848 | From: Dorset, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Nieminen
Bēl-öarra-uşur
Member # 572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otto Nieminen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old Rioja rocks! The '81 Monte Real was a wonderful wine and I must have drunk about a dozen of them. We had the '64 available briefly here but it was too expensive for me - seems like I missed something truly special.

--------------------
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

Posts: 5740 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Abercromby
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Abercromby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Otto,

I agree totally re the 1981 Monte Real. I had about 6 over a two year period. A lovely wine. A local (well, Manchester) pub / wine bar / restaurant is currently selling the 1978 - again, a lovely wine.

--------------------
Pebbles Rocks!

London-Edinburgh bike ride (Aug 2014): http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RayAbercromby

Posts: 4088 | From: Birmingham (Glossop no more!) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriel Brodetsky
Methuselah
Member # 1841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriel Brodetsky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, which establishment might that be?
Posts: 666 | From: Oxford | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Abercromby
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 89

Sam's Chop House. £45.

--------------------
Pebbles Rocks!

Nick Dymoke-Marr
Jeroboam
Member # 963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Dymoke-Marr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very sorry I couldn't attend this one. Ben is a top dude and, I know, spent months to pull this together.

Manc better hold its breath for his next move........!

Posts: 150 | From: leeds | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Stephenson
Bottle
Member # 1965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Stephenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well guys, master ben ought to reply!

Firstly thanks to Ray for writing up some notes for my tasting on Friday. I was really pleased that the wines showed so well considering their age. If anything this tasting proves that Tempranillo is certainly a world class varietal. We will probably see plantings increase around the world - just look at the experimental offering from Yalumba, the hand-picked TGV (Tempranillo/Grenache/Viognier), which is stunningly seductive & velvety.

I am planning some more tastings later on this year, so watch this space - the website is currently under construction!

I wish Manchester city centre had an independent wine shop - don't you?

Posts: 2 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicos Neocleous
Solomon
Member # 133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicos Neocleous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Abercromby:
An excellent tasting put together by Ben Stephenson, formerly of Harvey Nichols, Manchester, and (it would seem) mover and shaker in Manc wine circles.

Ray,
Thanks for the notes. Sounds like lovely wines, and I am sure I would have enjoyed this tasting, non-blind of course!

Nicos

--------------------
YOLO

Posts: 5587 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Quelly
Drinking Member
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Quelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray/Ben (anyone)
Were these older bottles like a Tondonia or a different style ?
My previous experience with early 80's Rioja have not been very rewarding (La Rioja Alta 904) but I may have been unlucky.

Posts: 6953 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Slatcher
Primat
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Slatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Queally:
Were these older bottles like a Tondonia or a different style ?

Wot's a Tondonia like?

--------------------
Please email me rather than PM: steve.slatcher@pobox.com
www.winenous.co.uk

Posts: 11343 | From: Manchester | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Abercromby
Nebuchadnezzar
Member # 89

RayQ - Like Steve, I've not had a Tondonia, but do have a case of 1981 stashed away somewhere! Most of the early 1980s riojas have been very smooth and velvety, with a hint of prunes. They have always been very enjoyable. The 1981 Monte Real was a case in point, but the 1982 Montecillo Gran Reserva Especial is also a really nice wine. Most of these wines do not have an excess of fruit, the Marques de Caceres being the exception (and, I believe, suffering for it).

I can't speak for the 904, my only example being a lovely 1985. Moving into the later 1980s, the Ygay 1987 and 1989 wines are beautiful at this moment in time.

--------------------
Pebbles Rocks!

Lee Knights
Methuselah
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Knights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good to hear Sam's has got the 78 back in stock - had this and the 81 on numerous occasions in there and great value for money (the 81 was £40).

--------------------
As I was sipping a glass of wine whilst sitting with my wife, she says, "I love you so much, I donít know how I could ever live without you...." I asked, "Is that you, or the wine talking?" She replied, "Itís me.....talking to the wine."

Posts: 673 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryan Collins
Primat
Member # 54

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I popped into The Sampler in Islington on Saturday afternoon, and they had 1976 Tondonia Blanco available for tasting (among many other fun bits and pieces, such as 2001 Yquem, heh). The Tondonia was an absolutely cracking wine - slightly but certainly not excessively oxidative, zinging acidity, and a big hit with both Nicki and myself. If it hadn't been for me travelling with only hand baggage, I'd certainly have picked some up.

--------------------
My Pebbles page

Posts: 10481 | From: Potton, Beds | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Quelly
Drinking Member
Member # 116

Steve, Tondonia and Bosconia are Lopez de Heredia wines made in a 'traditional'style and designed to age for a long period. The Tondonia is not to my taste (though I quite like the Bosconia) but many people rave about it.

Ray,
thanks for your reply it is hard to tell without being able to calibrate palates. As a HUGE generalisation the lack of a hint of fruit in some older Spanish wines is why I rarely cellar older wines. Perhaps I'm missing out on something!

cheers

Ray

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.wine-pages.com | Privacy Statement

copyright Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com