NWR Cricket

A great win for Hampshire!
No, as a Warwickshire fan, just par for the course. Played 4, drawn 1, innings defeats 3.

Warwickshire's feeble batting has been rescued for years by the likes of Ambrose, Woakes, Clarke, Barker and Patel in the lower order, but it's reached breaking point now. Hain is a genuine talent but is floundering, Trott playing very well, Bell occasionally so, but time for him to give up his England aspirations - he's not batting anywhere near well enough. I'm not convinced by the choice of Tony Frost as batting coach, a man who had just one (unexpected) season of batting well, when recalled post retirement. The bowling now also starting to struggle. I see two problems, one of an ageing team that are probably declining, plus serious concerns about the coaching setup / youngsters (not) coming through. The short term solution looks like a raid on the much more professionally run Worcestershire team, run on a comparative shoestring budget. I suspect Ashley Giles will need to resolve some long-term problems as well though.

Ben Duckett has scored a 100 before tea*. No big deal on the face of it, but then again the match started at 2PM. A 100 before lunch will soon be consigned to history, along with my HCCC membership. I have no interest in arriving home from a day's play at 11PM.
* Only against Leicestershire, though.

No, as a Warwickshire fan, just par for the course. Played 4, drawn 1, innings defeats 3.

Warwickshire's feeble batting has been rescued for years by the likes of Ambrose, Woakes, Clarke, Barker and Patel in the lower order, but it's reached breaking point now. Hain is a genuine talent but is floundering, Trott playing very well, Bell occasionally so, but time for him to give up his England aspirations - he's not batting anywhere near well enough. I'm not convinced by the choice of Tony Frost as batting coach, a man who had just one (unexpected) season of batting well, when recalled post retirement. The bowling now also starting to struggle. I see two problems, one of an ageing team that are probably declining, plus serious concerns about the coaching setup / youngsters (not) coming through. The short term solution looks like a raid on the much more professionally run Worcestershire team, run on a comparative shoestring budget. I suspect Ashley Giles will need to resolve some long-term problems as well though.

I was referring to Hampshire's win over Somerset, where they trailed on first innings but won comfortably.

Back down to earth against Lancs.

Ben Duckett has scored a 100 before tea*. No big deal on the face of it, but then again the match started at 2PM. A 100 before lunch will soon be consigned to history, along with my HCCC membership. I have no interest in arriving home from a day's play at 11PM.
* Only against Leicestershire, though.

Tricky, isn't it - from a commercial standpoint day/night cricket has to be worth a go (even if the Great British Summer intervenes..), but it seems increasingly difficult to follow the calendar of county games these days; what anyone new to the game makes of it all I'm not sure.

I would imagine anyone new to the game would find deciphering the fixture list a challenge! I agree that the day/night stuff has to be worth a go but why don't they schedule it when the "night" bit falls earlier than around the longest day.

Two other Essex (born and bred) lads ain't done bad either, and should be an interesting last 40 minutes

I believe the oppo are the current champions too...

Essex winning the league is just as likely as Leicester winning the premier league... 2 years ago we were second to bottom of the league - management and coaching staff have done well.

Not the start skipper would have hoped for! Always liked Philander.

He comes from Cape Town and I recall watching him in local club cricket when he was a teenager. In those days he was even tubbier than now, and was a batsman and occasional trundler, coming on third or fourth change.
Amazing to see his progress, although his style is always suited more to England and New Zealand than South Africa

He comes from Cape Town and I recall watching him in local club cricket when he was a teenager. In those days he was even tubbier than now, and was a batsman and occasional trundler, coming on third or fourth change.
Amazing to see his progress, although his style is always suited more to England and New Zealand than South Africa

His lack of fitness showed again today though, didn't bowl anywhere near the number of overs he should have given the threat he was posing and didn't look anything like as threatening with the second new ball.

Was lucky enough to get a nice view today, whilst sipping some Provençal rose (the only beverage to consume when it is over 30 centigrade), and to watch a brilliant knock by Joe Root on what looked like quite a benign track. I haven't been following cricket given my aversion to lining the Dirty Digger's pockets, but must say how impressed I was with Root's relaxed technique, especially the way he flicks the ball off his pads.