Food Impanata

A Sicilian impanata is the perfect companion to a familial scamper into the countryside. Here we have a recipe by Rachel Roddy/GUARDIAN and her blog "A Kitchen in Rome"

Ingredients

10g dried yeast or 20g fresh yeast

1 tbsp sugar

500g flour, ideally semolina flour, but plain flour or 00-grade works too

10g salt

30ml extra virgin olive oil

150-200ml water

For the filling

500g mozzarella (well drained)

8-16 anchovy fillets

Olive oil mixed with water or 1 beaten egg

Salt and black pepper

Preparation

• Dissolve the yeast and sugar in a glass of tepid water.
I1.JPG

2. Mix the flour, salt and olive oil in a large bowl, then add the dissolved yeast and enough extra water to bring everything together into a soft dough

I2.JPG

3. Knead until smooth. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a cloth or clingfilm, then leave in a warm spot for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.

I4.JPG

4. Lightly oil a 29cm-round tin. Halve the dough. Roll out both pieces on a lightly floured surface

I5.JPG

5. Press the big piece into it, making sure it comes up the sides

I6.JPG

6. Put the form on the second dough and cut it out.

I7.JPG

7. Arrange the cheese and anchovies. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

I9.JPG

8. Then cover with the remaining dough.

I10.JPG

9. Brush the edges with oil or egg white. Pinch and twist the edges closed. Brush with either oil mixed with water or beaten egg.

I12.JPG

10. Poke a few holes in the top with a fork and bake in a preheated oven at 200C/400F/gas mark 6 for 25-35 minutes, or until golden and puffed up. Serve cold or lukewarm. ENJOY

I13.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you Martin, made it today and it was truly lovely with my homegrown salad and a glass of perricone. Perhaps not the correct colour but it has the right geography!

That´s good to hear, Enda. BTW, when I tasted it straight from the oven I was disappointed and never thought to publish it. But later the day I enjoyed it. IMPANATA is best to enjoy cold or lukewarm.

Martin, we had it lukewarm and it was excellent. As ever, when I get enthused with a recipe, I'm dying to try it again. Will probably make it next week and serve cold when I have friends over for drinks. Again thank you.